Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    420soldier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Run dll error
    This box pops up every time I start up my computer. The block reads c:\windows\system32\vtUkjKed.dll! Have no idea what it is.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 11:18 PM

It's some sort of malware, you need to delete that file

Open windows explorer and go to - c:\windows\system32\
    -now find the file vtUkjKed.dll and right click on it and Delete

Now, download Malwarebytes
    Malwarebytes.org

You can use this program for free without paying for it
    -Just run it and let it do it's thing and when done scanning, Let it fix what it finds
    Peanuts825 Posts: 27, Reputation: -2

Feb 22, 2009, 01:08 AM

Mine was doing that.. then my computer wuldn't come on at all.. I had to put my windows start up disc in.. It worked.. but yet I lost everything, I had to reinstall a lot of stuff.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 09:14 AM
    In regards to first question, I would still do what was suggested in first reply first and post back with results.

With respect to second reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Peanuts825 View Post
    mine was doin that.. then my computer wuldn't come on at all..i had to put my windows start up disc in.. it worked.. but yet i lost everything, i had to reinstall alot of stuff.
    In this case, I would have suggested remove the non system files and then do a repair installation as opposed to a full recovery

Repair Installation
    A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 01:39 PM

The repair installation may work. Deleting the DLL may also work -- or it may not. In addition, you may end up with an error every time you start running your computer.

Some really bad malware programs will not let you delete the file, or if you delete it, the malware will replace it immediately. Try to delete it. If it doesn't work, boot into safe mode and try to delete it from there.

After deleting the DLL as seahwk83 suggested, you need to clear references to the DLL from the Registry. Some people are terrified of the registry, and with good reason. I suggest the following.

Download a copy of CCleaner (it's free):

CCleaner - Home

Click on the "Registry" icon in CCleaner and click the "Scan for issues button". Choose all of the issues and Click "Fix Selected Issues". It should prompt you to save a backup (that can never hurt), so do so and fix everything it found. Repeat until no more issues show up. Usually, you'll have to scan at least twice; sometimes three times.

You can also run Hijackthis.exe

Trend Micro HijackThis - Free software downloads - CNET Download.com

And post the result file. Usually an expert can tell you what to eliminate.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Feb 26, 2009, 03:11 PM

I wouldn't delete everything found in the registry scan of ccleaner. I would look at the suspicious things found, by reading about them on the internet.
    Furthermore, Perito is right about not finding everything asscociated with malware. You'll need to post on a malware site if you're still having problems.
    To help, look in your system32 folder, and list the files by date created. Then look at the filenames of the files created on the virus day. Then look those files up on the internet. Since you restarted your computer, you have let your registry run the malware file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE printing error: res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg error [ 15 Answers ]

I have seen about a dozen posts on different Web sites regarding this error. The most common fixes are related to an individual work station. We are experiencing this problem with our Web site and everyone accessing it is unable to print pages that are within frames. I tried the fixes on my...

Oracle Error 12560:tns Protocol Adapter Error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Whenever I try to log in using SCOTT/TIGER userid, I get the error "ORA ERROR 12560:TNS PROTOCOL ADAPTER ERROR". I tried starting the listener from administration-> services, but still the problem persists. Can you please suggest a solution?

Printing Error-Script Error [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to print a window pops up: Internet Explorer Script Error Line:1174 I have tried several things: Quick Restore, checked Script debugging box.

View more questions Search