Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FearfulRenter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
    I rent in Florida, we received a Foreclosure notice Do we have to pay our rent
    We rent through a leasing company, We were served Foreclosure papers, Is it not illegeal for the owner to collect rent if he is in foreclosure. Can we stop paying rent? Our lease is up April 27th and the way things are backed up the eviction would not happen on my watch I hear 6month to 9mon process.

Can I stop paying so the landlord is not profiting?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 08:09 PM

No it is not illegal for them to do this, not moral but not illegal in Florida.

And it can take 9 to 12 months to foreclose depending on the bank.

But no, if you have a lease you are obligated to the lease, if you don't pay the lease, they may evict you and sue you for the back rent. So you will end up with a eviction on your record.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Feb 22, 2009, 06:01 AM

Your landlord owns the home and has every legal right to collect rent while he is the owner of record.

Your landlord can cure his default at any time and there is nothing that says the house will end up back in the lenders hands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

Rent due after notice [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rental agreement that states (trying to be precise here, but not so wordy): "Lessee hereby rents from Lessor, those premises known as xxx upon a month-to-month tenancy, commening on the 21 day of xxx and terminating at 12:00 noon on the expiration date thereof, at the monthly rental...

Does 3 day Pay rent or quit notice include only rent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant paid $500 to get into my house (California). He was supposed to pay $3300 ($1800 rent + $2000 deposit) by 4th June. This was stated in contract. Instead he paid $1000 on 06/06. He deposited in my bank account. So if I want to give him a 3day pay rent or quit notice, should I...

No notice entry/ re-rent / notice [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I signed a year lease three months ago. We are currently living in Tennesee. The lease is 20 pages in length with numerous addendums etc. etc. It appears "iron clad". I have two questions, if you answer please consider the state I live in with your reply. 1. The maintenance...

Notice to Increase Rent [ 6 Answers ]

What are the guidelines for raising rent? I can see it is pretty much a 30 day notice, but what percentage are you allowed to increase rent by in general (max amount)? Also, I am drafting a new lease, do I have to include a clause that states I'm allowed to increase the rent in the future, or is...

View more questions Search