Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tank55 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 12:05 PM
    3way switches and a ceiling fan wire diagram
    I am trying to replace a light fixture ( for my wife) that has 3 way switches, with a ceiling fan ( with a light). The way the light fixture is wired is both black leads from the switches are wire nutted together and the 2 white wires are wired to the fixture. Do I just wire the ceiling fan in white to one of the white and black (form the ceiling fan) to the other white. If so where does the blue for the light go;to the black and white or white and white connection.There is of course a ground from the switches ( two twisted together) and a green one from the ceiling fan which will be wire nutted together.
    Thanks
    [/I]
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 02:18 PM

The two wires that went to the original light fixture are the live and neutral, respectively. Hopefully, one of the wires is white. That should be the neutral. The other one is most likely black, though it could possibly be another color.

Wire the neutral wire to the white wire of the ceiling fan. Connect the black wire to the black wire from the ceiling fan and the blue wire of the ceiling fan.

With this arrangement, the ceiling fan and the light are both powered by the switch. You have to use switches on the fan/light to turn the fan or the light on or off.

If you had two switches, you would route power from one switch to the black wire and power from a second switch to the blue wire. That way, one switch would control the fan and the second switch would control the light.

The fact that you have three-way switches is no problem. Three-way switches simply allow you to toggle power from either of two locations.

The green wire from the fan is, of course, bonded (usually with a wire nut or a crimp cap) to the ground wire.

Feb 21, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Thanks you.
    The problem for me was that the black wires were wired together and the 2 whites were the wires supplying power. I thought it would the black wires that were "hot" and the white would be neutral but not so in this case.
    Thanks , the wife loves it.
    Curtis
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 09:30 PM

No, the black wires are the hot and the white wires are the neutrals. One of the black wires comes from the switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 09:36 PM

Wire the fan the same way as the light, connect the black and blue from the fan together.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Feb 22, 2009, 07:10 AM
    In this case the black are neutral and the white are hot hot, I did not wire this house someone else did, do not know what he/she was thinking.
    Thanks again
    Curtis
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Tank,

Then you must re-identify the wires by either by paiting them with the correct colors or using white electrical tape, band both black wires with the tape and using black electrical tape band both blacks as white.

Then go out, find the guy who did the wiring, and bind the right side of his body in black and the left side in white and toss him into the drink! :)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 01:23 AM

I would get a meter and double check that, if you haven't already.

Feb 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
    I have, I did not believe that was the way it was, the fan and light work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 3way switches and 2 lights [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to wire two lights and two 3 way switches? What I have is 12/2 going to a switch and from there I have 14/3 going from switch 1 to light 1 and from light 1 I have at 14/3 going to the 2nd switch. The ground and the red traveler pass all the way through. From there I have...

3way wire ceiling fan replacement [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I'm replacing an old ceiling fan with a light. The layout from where the fan was is a red, a white, a black, and a ground. It was a fan that had a light set on it also, a lower and an upper. There are 2 switches in the room, one that turned on the fan , and the other that turned on the...

How do I correctly wire a new ceiling fan (with a remote) when there are 2 switches? [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to replace an old ceiling fan (that had a light) with a newer version that has a remote to control both the light and fan. The old fan was wired to work on 2 separate switches - one for the light (I'll call it switch #1) and one for the fan (switch #2). There is a third switch in the...

Ceiling fan w/ 3way switches for light and 1 way for fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan that has 3 switches that control the light and 1 that controls the fan. I have 4 wires coming into the box for the fan (black, red, white and grnd). The new ceiling fan has a remote that has to 2 lead wires that are supposed to be connected to the source and 4 (2 for...

3way or 4 way switches? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an old 3 decker that was recently rehab'ed and turned into condo's. There is a main stair way that runs up to serve the second and third floors. On each floor (main, 2nd, third) there is a light switch that when turned on, will turn on a hallway light on each floor. We want to...

View more questions Search