Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:27 AM
    Business Advert
    Im preparing a business advert for my husband who is starting up self-emp. Electrician, plumbing painting etc...

Now he is going self-emp alone but may or rather will have almost all d time helpers for most jobs.

In the advert should I write in singular or plural?
    Like I can paint interior and exterior or your property? Or WE can...

Thanks
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Feb 21, 2009, 12:30 AM

I myself would write it in the singular form. I have a faithful auto mechanic who comes to my house, to work on our families' cars, and he does all his advertising in the singular, even though he has seven vans with mechanics who work for him.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:31 AM
    Why do you think its better singular?
    Thanks

Feb 21, 2009, 12:37 AM

He's advertising himself as the leader. If he uses the "we" phrase, then it becomes more of a team effort, and it kind of diminishes his authority.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Makes sense, thanks a lot.
    His mom suggested we, as she said using I - customers may think he is 1 man band and could lose out on some jobs which don't make sense to me

Feb 21, 2009, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOPPER View Post
    He's advertising himself as the leader. If he uses the "we" phrase, then it becomes more of a team effort, and it kind of diminishes his authority.

Although he could say something like "My team of professionals." which gives the impression that he's hired only the best to help him sort of thing.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:41 AM
    He is prob only going to have 1 person assisting him anyway... therefore I thought WE is advertising his assistant as a leader too ye? Which I don't want that

Feb 21, 2009, 12:49 AM

That would depend on your husband, and how he'd want to say that. Most customers will be unaware if your husband had only one worker or fifty. So you can still say team, or start with singular and include a plural statement later in the advert. Perhaps something like "My team will flush your problems down the drain... or brush your problems away with ease..." That sort of thing. Always, use action phrases to draw the attention to the ad, and then include the details. (I've written radio copy back in the days when I was in radio.) Again, most people will be unaware of how many employees he has, so don't sweat it. Besides, once business gets rolling, he'll probably have to hire more to help him. Let him lead. But you can also let the public know that he is not the only one.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:50 AM
    Perfect
    Thanks for your help
    answeromatic Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Using the term "we" within an advertisement doesn't necessarily mean you are making yourself not seem as an authority. It does make it seem like a team, and for a lot of people that's what they want to see. When you say "we" it makes people think, "hey, this company has been around for a while, they have a crew ready to help me, let's go with them." As opposed to an "I" where they might feel as though you aren't doing as well as you should, so you aren't able to hire others to help you.

My opinion as a business owner!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New csl advert [ 3 Answers ]

Who is the singer and what is the track for the csl advert?

Csl advert [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know who sings on the latest csl adverts?

M&s advert [ 1 Answers ]

I'm sure I will get plenty of replies to this one... Can someone please tell me the title/artist of the 'trumpet' piece of music in the m&s adverts... Thanks

Looking for song on car advert [ 1 Answers ]

There's an advert on TV, can't remember what make of car it's for, but I know it has a really nice song that includes the line "walked away from the lovers leap". Does anyone know the title of this song, or was it written for the advert. I don't seem to be able to find it online. Thanks :) ...

View more questions Search