Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LHLClark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Married, now living separately in different states for work reasons
    Last year, we made big changes. We moved my spouse to California and are buying a home. We have been married 25 years and working/living in Michigan for 10 years. For economy issues, I now have a job in North Carolina and go visiting my spouse about every 6 weeks. How do we deal with taxes for federal and state? Our income was more than half from investments and remaining just my income. We are trying to sell the Michigan home. It is empty. My spouse does not work.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 10:55 AM
    You will need to file Michigan, North Carolina and probably California state tax returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes married living different states [ 1 Answers ]

I am relocating to Boston MA and my husband is a retired federal employee who pays federal taxes residing in Puerto Rico. In PR we file separately. {Moved from Forum Help-<>}

State tax returns for a married couple living separately [ 3 Answers ]

We used to live together in MI, but I moved to MA alone for a new job in June 2006. My spouse is still living and working in MI. Federal tax return wise, it seems that we will have to go with the "married but filing separately" option, but the state tax return seems to be a bit tricky. My questions...

Married, but living in two states [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am married and as of last year both myself and my husband are residents in KY (we both had lived in WV for the past 27 years). I am applying to school in West Virginia and would like to avoid paying out of state tuition. Can I become a West Virginia resident (rent an apartment,...

Just married living in 2 states. [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were married in 2006. In 2006 she worked and lived in NJ and I worked and lived in NY. I am very confused about filing our taxes jointly... Are we supposed to say that we were resident of NY and NJ, and how do we avoid getting taxed twice by both states... If anyone has any...

Married but living in different states [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are married but are living and working in different states. Her in California and myself in Michigan. We own a home in Michigan where I live with our 15 year old son. She rents an apartment in California where she lives with our 16 year old daughter. How do we file our federal taxes...

View more questions Search