Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cauvesorris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
    Tooth decay too early in life.
    Hello.
    I am a 24 year old female who requires about 10,000 dollars worth of dental work. I am currently uninsured and am not eligible for insurance until August of 2009. I was recently at a dentist when they quoted me on the 10,000 worth of work. I am in about 20,000 worth of debt as it is and I have a pretty low-paying job. My father recently died of alcoholism and my mom gets paid less than I do. I am an educated and hard working person who has suffered a series of unfortunate experiences.
    I don't know what to do, and I feel like my teeth are going to fall from my head. They're just plain rotting out. My main issue is money, and not going into more debt so that I can simply chew my food without worrying that my teeth will further crack off.
    I've been trying to research government grants for tooth care, but this is a relentless headache of a search.
    Is there anyone out there who knows of something I can do?
    My problem is not in maintenance because I take care of my teeth properly. I have bad teeth due to heredity and acidity in my saliva.
    I am currently in mild pain, it's tolerable but I don't know how much longer I can live this way.
    I am truly desperate.
    Thank you for your responses.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 02:27 PM

Where do you live? There may be a program for low income individuals. If not a charity.

Otherwise, if it were ME, I'd wait until August. But that's me, and probably not the wisest choice.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 02:35 PM

Is there a dental college in your area? We have one that does work for low/no charge, but it takes a while to get in.
    folktail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 11:07 AM

You may have already found help for your problem but if not... I suggest you apply for medicare ([ go here to see if you are eligible Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (Eligibility Questions) )You would probably be eligible considering you are an independent with a low paying job. They actually cover a LOT. My boyfriend has medicare and his insurance plan is actually better than mine (aetna). Good luck.. I hope you can get the work done. Tooth pain is the worst.
    folktail Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Sorry medicaid* not medicare. Medicaid Are You Eligible? Medicaid Eligibility
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Apr 3, 2009, 03:50 PM

Speaking as a dentist, barring any legitimate genetic diseases that make your teeth less mineralized, or medications/diseases that cause a lack of saliva, there is no reason for your teeth to "rot out" if you take care of them. Brush 3 times a day with a high fluoride tooth paste (Prevident, from the pharmacy) floss, watch sugar intake (no candy, no sugar in tea/coffee, no pop, no refined carbohydrates, limit juice and rinse after), chew SUGARLESS gum after every meal, limit snacking. You must stop the disease process before getting the work done. Also, no smoking. I would suggest finding a dental school and getting the emergency stuff done (extractions and/or root canals) and getting the other stuff done after your insurance kicks in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

Repair of decay [ 2 Answers ]

My teeth are all crowned. My dentist says I have decay starting under some of them along the edges where my gums have receded. She says she can't repair the tooth without destroying the crowns, and will need to make new crowns to repair the decay. I had a root canal without having to replace the...

Gum disease or tooth decay [ 2 Answers ]

My grandson had open heart surgery at 15mths old.To cut a long story short,he has been on continuous antibiotics and steroids for numerous infections and so on.He has just turned 7.We have just been told he will have to have all his teeth taken out.Due to everything he has taken and also maybe...

Exponential decay [ 1 Answers ]

The radioactive decay formula is A = A0(1/2)^t/n, where A is the current amoutn of the radioactive sample, A0 is the original amount, t is the elapsed time and n is the length of the half life. The half life of Sodium-24 is 14.9h. A researcher begins with 100mg of sodium-24. What is the...

View more questions Search