Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelesh Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Legalization euthanasia
    Some people agree, some disagree and some are neutral to the legalization of euthanasia...

What is your opinion?

Should euthanasia be legalized?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:16 PM

I see it this way: Is it OK to end the life of someone that we feel is not enjoying life? If so, does that mean it's OK whether the person is 1 week old or 101 years old?
    For me, the answer is no.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:19 PM

I think it should be legal. Why make someone suffer when all they want is to not have pain anymore.

Feb 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I think it should be legal. Why make someone suffer when all they want is to not have pain anymore.
    From a religious point of view: 'Who are you to play God's role'?
    'Who are you to have the right to take someone's life?'

Do you think the religious bodies will accept this?
    I don't think so...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:33 PM

Just like we euthanize dogs, and women should decide whether abortion is right for them, euthanasia should be available.

At this point, with some checks and balances. "I want to die" should not be allowed by itself. Cancer in extreme pain and wanting to die for that reason should be allowed.

Case in point: Throat cancer that matasticised and given 4 days to 4 weeks to live and in pain. Passed away in 4 days.

Coma should not be allowed yet. Too many people waking up. Only the person wanting to die and certification by a doc that recovery is not possible should it be allowed.

I don't think it should be called "assisted suicide" either. It should be called something like "self inflicted euthanasia".

I once wrote a paper called "The Happy Funeral". All of the attendies were so happy. The person that passed away had been living with parkinsons as a vegetable for 18 years. Here it would, in my opinion, be acceptable.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:36 PM

If you ever watched a loved one die in throes of agony from cancer eating them away,it is hard not to ask yourself ,what harm would a little extra morphine do?
    On the other hand.. do we have the right to interfere with the divine?
    I am so torn on this issue and always have been.
    My heart says one thing and my head says another.
    Do I sacrifice my religion to spare the pain of someone I love?
    Your question raises more questions for me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:38 PM

It is free will right? That was God's gift to us. So for one group to stop you from doing something you want to freely do isn't that group playing God by taking your free will away? If you choice euthanasia that is your choice and you can deal with god when you get to meet him/her. And the Dr has the free will to do the procedure or not again the Dr can deal with god when the Dr meets him/her.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
    How do you know what they want? If a child has a serious illness and is suffering, why not just "euthanize" him or her?
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:49 PM

I never claimed to know what someone wants I can only speak for myself. I can't begin to speak about a seriously ill child because I have no kids. But I know if I had cancer through out my body that was incurable and I would just suffer for the next 5 months I would want to die.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelesh View Post
    Should euthanasia be legalized?
    Hello S:

It IS in my state, fortunately. We here, have a strong belief that we are the owners of our bodies, and we'll do with it what we please.

It's a very right wing notion that the government should be in control of those very, VERY personal decisions about one's body.

I'm GLAD that I have the choice to control the circumstances of my demise. I NEVER want anybody to have to change my diaper - and I never will.

Ain't this country great, or what?

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:51 PM
    I never claimed to know what someone wants I can only speak for myself. I can't begin to speak about a seriously ill child because I have no kids. But I know if I had cancer through out my body that was incurable and I would just suffer for the next 5 months I would want to die.
    ?
    You said "Why make someone suffer when all they want is to not have pain anymore?"

So the question is: How can you know what they want?

That, of course, is the issue. What we THINK a person wants may or may not be what they want.

Feb 20, 2009, 12:52 PM

Just make as if it was your first baby son who's suffering and doc said he has a very few chance of being saved.. What would you do?

Let say he has no chance at all. Have you ever heard of miraculous healing? Won't you believe in miracles at that particular moment?
    OR would you say 'ok, kill him'?
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:55 PM

Maybe I've misunderstand what the word means. I fully respect a person's right to SAY SO: If s/he wishes to be "euthanized" if s/he is - or appears to be - suffering but cannot indicate his wishes... but the initial question did not say so.

So Excon, is it legal in your state to "euthanize" any human being if that person's guardian or decision maker says so?

... and does this apply to anyone of any age?
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:55 PM

Rick I was speaking in general terms. You have never seen a medical show where a person says I am in so much pain that I wish they would just kill me? The decision should be made between the Dr and the patient not someone who thinks they are doing God's work.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Are we talking about a baby that is a minute old or a baby that has been suffering for 6 months? If the baby is a minute old I would say yeah lets do what we can. If 6 months goes by and the Dr says look your son is never going to recover he is going to be in horrible pain for the last 3 months of his life then I would say end it because it is wrong to let someone suffer like that.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 01:10 PM

Good points spitvenom.. . but that is the trouble. Who is it that would decide the time?
    a. 3 or 2 or 1 month before birth?
    b. 1 minute or 1 day or 1 week or 1 year after birth?
    c. or 90 years or 100 years or 110 years old?

So who would decide what's legal? I sure don't want some politician deciding it... and I sure don't want it to be by a majority vote either.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 01:17 PM

It should be between the patient (or the patients parent/legal guardian) and the Dr. Euthanasia should be a legal choice. I made it very clear to my wife and my parents that if for whatever reason I am only able to be kept "alive" by machines to take me off the machine's and let me die. Because lets be honest god did not make us to be kept alive by machines.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 01:19 PM

What you are describing is NOT "euthanasia" (in my opinion). If a person dictates BEFOREHAND that if s/he is in some certain circumstance (of pain and suffering, etc.) but cannot verbalize his wishes, then that is not "Euthanasia".

Clearly I've misunderstood the gist of the issue...

Feb 20, 2009, 01:24 PM

Euthanasia means killing a person at his own will.
    If euthanasia is legalized, do you think doctors will do their best to save a life?
    And for how long will euthanasia be 'killing at a person's own will'? It may later become 'killing at the doctor's will'... Not all doctors are caring and ready to see a patient lying as a living corpse on a hospital bed.. The doctor can kill the patient and say that he/she did not survive...
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 01:27 PM

I understand that but I wanted to show you where I am coming from with this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legalization of Drugs in the United States [ 4 Answers ]

Should drugs be legalized in the United States? The goal of this team effort is not to answer this question. Rather, it's to decide on what specific questions we might need to ask, and what research we might need to do if we were to answer this drug legalization question in a reasonable and...

Information on legalization of drugs. [ 1 Answers ]

In addition, to what degree might some people's emotions, either because they might oppose the legalization of drugs or they might support it, be in danger of coloring their potential answer? I think the use of illicit drugs is illegal because of their intoxicating effects on the brain,...

Euthanasia. How do you feel about it? [ 28 Answers ]

As part of my job I have had to euthanize well over 1000 animals that people decided they didn't want. I worked out of a shelter in NC. While my primary job was to investigate cases of animal cruelty, many times I had to put down animals using various methods. I will tell you I don't believe in the...

View more questions Search