Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giggles85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 12:27 AM
    How can I adopt my step daughter?
    I'am a step-mother to my husbands little girl. Her mother is still in the picture but does not see her like she should! She is a drugy and not a good mother for her daughter. Her daughter has been abused by diff. men which are friends of the mother and her mother doesn't even care. My husband has full custody but I want to make sure this little girl is safe, that is why I want to know if I have any opportunity to adopt her? My husband wants that as well!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 06:54 AM

The mother will have to agree, but she signs some paperwork that your lawyer gives her and then you adopt.

If the mother does not agree, it pretty much doesn't happen unless you can prove her mother is a threat to her. This is not easy to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2009, 08:08 AM
    You need an attorney to prepare a petition for adoption. Part of that petititon will be getting the mother to relinquish her rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband trying to adopt step daughter [ 4 Answers ]

I've been married now for three years and want to know how I can adopt my step daughter , considering the bio father has not made contact in four years nor has contributed a dime.How do I go about this process?

Adopt with step dad [ 2 Answers ]

How did I go about getting my bio father to sign off so I can have my step dad adopt me

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

View more questions Search