Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatieH Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Can ghosts be atheist?
    My friend keeps on telling how there is a ghost in her house, and it scares her son, and keeps on lighting candles. Which could be a fire hazard really. She told me that she has tried to bless her home with holy water, and use prayers and yell " In Jesus name leave this house" and such.. So I jokingly told her that her ghosts were atheist.. but then I actually pondered it. Might it be possible?
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Feb 20, 2009, 11:27 PM

That's a thought-provoking question.

The conventional wisdom is that some ghosts have not yet realized they are dead. If the spirit was stubbornly still believing it was alive, it might also still hold a materialist or atheist worldview. If the ghost realized it was existing after physical death, it might still not believe in God, but presumably would sooner or later have to admit that life does not end with the body's death.

Feb 20, 2009, 11:29 PM
    Seriously, though, your friend might consider whether such a confrontational, "make like a tree and leave" attitude is really a good way to relate to this being. If she is a Christian, shouldn't she be willing to let the ghost stay at least in the short term, out of Christian charity?
    KatieH Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 05:51 PM
    She does not really mind that it's there.. It just upsets her son And lights candles.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 05:56 PM

Until she really wants it gone, you can't call on the Name of Jesus like some magic spell. IT has to be done in faith and belief.

The spirits have to obey. Has she had the house blessed by a professional ( priest or pastor) and is there anything she is doing that keeps the door open for the spirits to remain or come back to the home.
    Peanuts825 Posts: 27, Reputation: -2

Feb 22, 2009, 02:00 AM

Well, if there DEMON ghost, of course their Atheist

Feb 24, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanuts825 View Post
    well, if there DEMON ghost, of course their Atheist
    While I think starbuck was a little snippy about it, I would have to say I disagree, too. In the Gospel stories, the demons knew exactly who Jesus was and believed in him. He had to keep telling them to shut up about it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alder View Post
    While I think starbuck was a little snippy about it, I would have to say I disagree, too. In the Gospel stories, the demons knew exactly who Jesus was and believed in him. He had to keep telling them to shut up about it.

Did you read the other posts by "Peanut" before you criticized Starbuck?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are ghosts mean [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a blog about knocking in my friends walls.I guess most people believe it could be a ghost... I don't know anything about them at all... are they all happy and nice? Can they hurt you at all.

Seeing Ghosts [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, You may think I'm crazy because even I think I'm crazy but I think I see ghosts.When my friend stayed over in my house something weird happened I saw a small boy that my friend couldn't see and he told me that there was someone else here.Then me and my friend ran downstairs where I saw the boy...

Ghosts [ 14 Answers ]

Can ghosts harm you?

Are there ghosts? [ 12 Answers ]

Tell if there is any tangible proof of the presence of the ghosts, spirits or so?

I think I have 2 little boy ghosts [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my name is brittany and I am renting a house with my sister and her boyfriend we hear things like door slamming and the bed will vibrate every night we asked the landlord if she ever heard anything and said the same thing we hear she allso said that 2 little boys died in the upstairs part of the...

View more questions Search