Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Aug 17, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Getting paid!
    Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Aug 17, 2006, 10:49 PM
    If the jurisdiction has one, a civil enforcement officer can help you recover the award. A court clerk should be able to help you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2006, 06:31 AM
    This is the hidden gotcha of small claims court. Sure the judge awards you a judgement, but its YOUR responsibility to collect. The defendant doesn't have to write out a check then and there. So YOU need to determine what assets the defendant has. YOU need to then present the judgement to a sheriff or similar where the defendant resides to attach the asset(s). Whether it be a salary via a garnishment or bank deposits or whatever. You might want to think of hiring a collection agency who will generally take a chuck of what they collect.

Aug 18, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Oh, how can I go about hiring a collection agency? I don't mind giving them some $$, it isn't all abut the $$ for me.. it is more of principle. Good idea!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Hello Yelo:

Call 'em up and say, "are you available?"

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by YeloDasy
    Oh, how can i go about hiring a collection agency? I dont mind giving them some $$, it isnt all abut the $$ for me... ., it is more of principle. Good idea!!
    Try the Yellow Pages under Collection Agency. Call several. You might also use an online yellowpages, like switchboard.com or yellowpages.com to find one in the area where the person is.

Aug 18, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Did'nt Get What We Paid For. [ 10 Answers ]

We ordered a custom built Trailer (01/17/06), after a longer wait than promised the Trailer arrived only to find some options missing and the hitch weight to be Lbs600 more than advertised, so they came and picked it up to get fixed, when it came back it's still missing some options and the hitch...

Paycheck not paid [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a problem and I seek somebodies advice regarding. I used work for a company earlier and before working they made a deal that I need to work under them for 12 months, My job started around dec 2004. In Jan I met with an accident and I got billed around 30000 from the Hospital. I...

Employer paid too much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about vested interests. My former employer paid me 100% of the vested interest in my 401K instead of 40%. I was unaware of this at the time and I am still not sure it is in fact true as the dollar amount they say they paid me does not match my records. I just received a letter...

Un-paid salary [ 2 Answers ]

I worked as a sales rep for a physical therapy center (for a short period, two weeks and 2 days) before I quite. I did not trust the owner/president of This small company and the work environ became totally negetive, and besides, I did not want to become too much in hock to him lest I get burned....

View more questions Search