Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sperry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Can I get sued... again?
    I rented from a man while in my junior year of college in PA who turned out to be a slum through ReMax. The house was a typical college house that was filthy, and damaged, and placed anywhere outside of a college setting would have been condemned.

After some damages (which we repaired) We were sued by our landlord during the school year and had to give up our security deposit as well as a good amount of money. He, and the corrupt judge who was his fishing buddy warned us about this not being the end.

Our lease was over at the end of May, and all summer I've been waiting to hear from him again, but haven't heard a thing.

My question is, can he still bring suit? I've been reading through PA code 250.512 and want to know if this applies to me. Its now a 2 and half months after, and I could see him sending a nice bill/suit again. I just wan this to be over, and never hear from him again. Thanks for any advice
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 17, 2006, 08:44 PM
    The judge actually said this is not over... write the Bar association and file a complaint of harassment if this happen... any judge worth their salt will not make any judgements based on bias... the complaint was filed and you and your friends paid... then any more suits will be considered harassment... while writing the Bar Association ask about a civil lawyer and counter the suit with harassment claims and if the problems were plumbing and electrical address those issue... but first contact a civil lawyer... most do not charge for consultation...
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 18, 2006, 03:56 AM
    Do nothing and if you do get another suit, get to an attorney.

The original condition of the property is of no consequence since you agreed to rent it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Do you have proof that the judge was a fishing buddy of the landlord? If you have ironclad proof of this, then I would file a complaint with the head judge. It would be highly improper for a judge to rule on a case involving a friend.

Security deposits are generally for paying for problems left after a tenant moves out. To forfeit your security before the lease is up and you move doesn't sound right. Especially if you can show you repaired the damages.

I doubt if there will be an additional action against you. I think the threat was made to keep you quiet about this scam.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Hello sperry:

Actually, if it were me, I'd sue him AND the judge, and I'd sue 'em for a lot of money. Lawsuits work for tenants too, you know. You just have to be better at it than you've been.

I'm not like you. If I've done right, and someone doesn't think so, then let's have it out!! Instead, you want to run away and hide. You should read my post about victims in "other law" entitled "neighbor troubles - out of money".

excon
    sperry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Thank you for the responses, and in all honesty I just want to leave it go. I know anywhere else I would have a fair argument to counter sue. The electric was horrible, no insulation, you get the picture. Where I went to school is a little black hole in federal and state law.

What I'm just wondering is if 250.512 states:
    " Any landlord who fails to provide a written list within thirty days as required in subsection (a), above, shall forfeit all rights to withhold any portion of sums held in escrow, including any unpaid interest thereon, or to bring suit against the tenant for damages to the leasehold premises," and I haven't received anthing 2 and half month after, can he lawfully bring another lawsuit for damages.

Thanks again for the advice
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2006, 12:27 PM
    I think that's pretty clear. Since you have received no list, it would seem that he can't sue. Note, he would not be able to sue over the damages he previously sued for, only new damages. But, without giving timely notice, he seems to have forfeited that right as well.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 18, 2006, 04:16 PM
    If you do not understand the reply of Gem... understand this H E DOUBLE TOOTH PICKS ...NAW!!!

Now, laugh.. hahahaha... go about your life and rest... from this point forward the ball is in your court... reopening the case will allow you to bring forth facts that were not represented in the first case... your former landlord has to reopened the case by filing a law-suit first... you do not have to do a thing... I mean it rest... it's over

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife got sued [ 1 Answers ]

My wife got sued by Asset Acceptance Management LLC she never got served papers so she didn't know about a court date until a final judgement was put against her. I don't know what to do I was out of work 6 months had to take a low paying job am in loss mitigation with the mortgage company. My...

I'm being sued,what will they get? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Pa. I am being sued for rear ending someone and will most likely have a judgement put against me. This insurance was in my husbands name. Can his car be taken if we are no longer living together but still legally married.my wages cannot be garnished because they are so low. Can his...

Being Sued by Tenant [ 7 Answers ]

I just received a letter from a Law Firm, I am being sued by a former tenant. His lease was up and he did not want to sign a new lease or leave, I evicted him (legally from all the information I read) for willful destruction of property~ He had done about $1,800 worth of damage to the bathroom. ...

How many times have you been sued? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hopping that someone can help me with this. I am trying to find out how many times a public company has been sued (e.g. Walmart, FCUK, McDonalds) Is there any website or place I can go to check into this fact? Thanks.

If you're Sued. [ 4 Answers ]

If a credit card company sues you ,what can they get? I mean can they garnish your wages, or cause you to lose your house, or have you thrown in jail. I have heard these rumors.

View more questions Search