Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 09:54 AM
    differentiating y"
    So I'm a little confused about what to do with a in this equation and am not sure if it should be 0 or 4a^3

I'm trying to find y" of x^4+y^4=a^4 and so far I have 4x^3+4y^3 x y' =?? 4a^3 or zero.

Once I know what the a^4 is supposed to be I can solve it the rest of the way but I have no idea what to do with it.

Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 10:14 AM

a is a constant, right? What's the derivative of a constant? Asked another way - do constants change with a change in x?

You should check your differentiation - the first derivative of y^4 would be 4 y^3 y'. Not sure why you have an extra x in there.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    a is a constant, right? What's the derivative of a constant? Asked another way - do constants change with a change in x?

You should check your differentiation - the first derivative of y^4 would be 4 y^3 y'. Not sure why you have an extra x in there.
    the x was in there to show multiplication.
    The dirivitive of a constant is zero, but I wasn't sure if it's still zero if the constant is taken to a power.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    The dirivitive of a constant is zero, but I wasn't sure if it's still zero if the constant is taken to a power.

A constant raised to a constant power is a contstant.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 11:53 AM

huh?? So it's ^4??
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 12:13 PM

What I was saying is that the derivative of a constant is 0. a^4 is a constant, so its derivative is... 0.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Differentiating first principles/Quotient rule [ 4 Answers ]

I've differentiated it using the quotient rule (get \frac{-g'(x)}{(g(x))^2}) to use as a check and also by the chain rule but cannot reach the answer through first principles or derive the quotient rule using the answer I got for the first part by a different method. Won't post all the workings,...

View more questions Search