Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oscarlicous Posts: 154, Reputation: 10

Feb 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Telling parents that I want to play hockey
    I have noticed that this sprot is very aggressive and that is the kind of person that I am. I don't know how to ask to tell them that I want to play hockey. Here's another problem, how much would it cost to play including the equipment would cost?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:15 AM
    Usually you start by learning to skate. The skates will run you about $45 for a decent pair as a starter. I've played hockey all my life starting at 5 years old. The running gag now that I'm a dad is "I hope my son doesn't want to be a goalie". That's the most expensive position. :) You can now buy a full equipment set in one box. Check it out at your local sports store.

As always simply tell your parents what's on your mind, what's the worst that can happen?
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 19, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Do your research first, find out where hockey is offered in your area and what it takes to join. You should be able to ask at the rink about lessons, camps, leagues etc. Do you know how to skate? Hockey requires a lot of skating skill that you probably don't have if you've only cruised around the local pond on ice skates. My niece started playing hockey when she was 4 and her skating instructor said she had learned everything he was qualified to teach her. My nephew is 7 now and has played hockey for 2 or 3 years, this year he's in his first league. My sister takes him to hockey lessons to get better at his skills, you can probably find something similar at your local rink.

I'm not sure about the cost of gear but I bet you can find some used gear from people who play at the rink of your choice. People "trade up" all the time into better gear in other sports, I'm guessing it would be the same for hockey.

This is a rough sport and you may end up losing some teeth and having other sorts of injuries. Your parents should have insurance that's good enough to cover extensive dental work because it's terribly expensive. Please keep that in mind when you ask them.

Some of the games are really early, are your parents going to want to get up and get you to the rink in time for a 6am game? That's when my nephews games start, 6AM. That's pretty early and requires commitment from both players and parents.

Good luck!
    Ber
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ber Rabbit View Post
    This is a rough sport and you may end up losing some teeth and having other sorts of injuries. Your parents should have insurance that's good enough to cover extensive dental work because it's terribly expensive. Please keep that in mind when you ask them.
    I pretty sure all leagues make full-face masks mandatory now so that's one less worry.
    I do remember 6 a.m. practices though!
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 19, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I pretty sure all leagues make full-face masks mandatory now so that's one less worry.
    I do remember 6 a.m. practices though!
    That's a good thing! I haven't seen my nephew play so I don't know what head gear he's wearing. I live an hour and a half away and I'm not getting on the road at 4:30am to watch him play hockey at 6am :eek:
    Ber
    tntdynamite Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Feb 20, 2009, 11:29 AM

I could see you playing hockey, but sorry hon, I don't know where you could in our town. But do some research, and just simply tell your mom and dad that you want to play hockey, and you'll do some extra chores around the house or something like that to pay for it if they're concerned about money.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 11:33 AM

Hey if you can't find a hockey league in your area how about Lacrosse? Very aggressive sport also. And then there is always football. Indiana is like a Basketball mecca not as aggressive but very fun.
    oscarlicous Posts: 154, Reputation: 10

Feb 23, 2009, 06:21 AM

I'm not a basketball fan sorry :D
    Yewcandoit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 02:18 PM
    If you want to play hockey and are worried about to cost. Try doing some skating and stick and puck at first. You can slowly build up your equipment as you get more into the sport.

At most Stick & Pucks, you will only need a helmet, gloves and a stick. As you play more, you'll want to pick up a jock, shins pads, and elbow pads. Once you play in a league you will be required to get a girdle and shoulderpads as well.

The great thing about hockey is that you can get started with just a stick. Play outside with some friends!

If you don't have friends who play hockey. Go to www.hockey-community.com to find people to play with. It's a good place to find other hockey players and goalies as well. That is probably the best place to go to, to start playing hockey.
    Yewcandoit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 02:19 PM
    Comment on Yewcandoit's post
    Another thing to add. Hockey is an aggressive sport, but it is not that dangerous. You can be very well protected with the right equipment. I've seen more injuries playing dodgeball than I've seen in hockey. You are not in the NHL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting.telling my parents [ 19 Answers ]

I want to convert to Judaism, but telling my parents or even talking about questioning the New Testament is a sin in my house. I read the torah (using a flashlight at night) and I can't lie to them and sneak off to the local synagogue... I'm still young 17 and a freshman in college. How can I start...

Telling parents about engagement [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend is currently enlisted in the USN and is deploying in November and won't return until Springtime of 2008. When he gets back, we intend to marry right away. What I am asking, is how am I going to tell my parents we are planning to marry? I'm pretty young and I just want to know how I...

Telling Parents [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I just found this group this eveing I have an issue where I can use a little advise if any one can help. Ok here goes. A little about me My name is steve I and am 25 years old. My Parents are both loving and caring I come from a 3 person family meaning I am a only child My...

Hockey [ 2 Answers ]

How many Black players are there in the NHL? And what teams do they play for?

View more questions Search