Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tm010433 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 02:35 AM
    Corporate Finance
    Crabtree, Inc. has an operating cash flow of $164,900, depreciation expense of $93,100, and taxes paid of $80,400. A partial listing of its balance sheet accounts is as follows:

Beginning Balance Ending Balance
    Current assets 131,700 119,600
    Net fixed assets 712,500 689,200
    Current liabilities 108,900 122,100
    Long Term 796,000 830,500

What is the amount of Crabtree's cash flow from assets?
    SFAUTO Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 01:20 PM
    I am not sure what "cash flow from assets" means. However, I will provide you with the Free Cash Flow calculation (ie, cash available to pay debt). I will assume that your operating cash flow ("OCF") excludes depreciation (a non cash item) so does not have to be adjusted, and also excludes taxes (a cash item) so has to be adjusted. The formula is as follows:

OCF
    -Taxes
    -increase (+dec) in working capital changes
    - Capex
    ----------------------
    FCF

Where Capex is calculated as Ending Net Fixed Assets balance - Beginning Net Fixed Assets balance + Dep. This comes out to $69,800.

Where Working Capital Changes is calculated as Beg. Curr assets-curr liab. Minus ending curr assets-curr liab. This comes out to $25,300.

Therefore, your FCF is $40,000 and is calculated by:

$164,900
    -80,400 (taxes)
    +25,300 (dec in net working capital)
    -69,800 (capex)

You can thank the company's CFO or treasury staff for stretching the payables and collecting the receivables, or the operations dept for turning the inventory faster. Without this decrease in working captal, which became a source of cash, cash flow would have been lower and maybe even negative. Things may be tight since Crabtree has some long term debt on which I am assuming they are paying interest and principal.

I hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corporate Finance [ 2 Answers ]

In July 2005, American Airlines (AMR) had a market capitalization of $2.3 billion, debt of $14.3 billion, and cash of $3.1 billion. American Airlines had revenues of $18.9 billion. British Airways (BAB) had a market capitalization of $5.2 billion, debt of $8.0 billion, cash of $2.9 billion, and...

A stock sells for $40. The next dividend will be $4 per share. If the rate of return earned on reinvested funds is 15% and the company reinvests 40% of the earnings in the firm, what must be the discount rate?

Any help on solutions to these problems by 3pm EST 12/21/06? Security F has an expected return of 12 percent and a standard deviation of 9 percent per year. Security G has an expected return of 18 percent and a standard deviation of 25 percent per year. What is the expected return on a...

View more questions Search