Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JuLee Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Credit score increase?
    Hi, question... 3 years ago, I had a credit score of about 580 (college years, ugh, I won't go there). Today, my score is at a 643. I've been paying my bills ontime Every time for 3 years now, even with higher than min payment. Shouldn't my score be a lot higher after 3 years of perfect payments?

I only have one open credit card and a few loans including my mortgage and no other open or unused accounts. Have had collections in the past but all was paid for 3 years ago... Am I still not doing something right? Or what could I do to increase it more and faster ? :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2006, 11:27 AM
    I think three years is not enough to wipe the problems you had. Also you don't have much in the way of new credit experience.

Aug 17, 2006, 11:32 AM
    So do you think it would help if I got another credit card or get more loans say for just 4 or 500 and pay them off over some months??

Aug 17, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Yes

Aug 17, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Hmmm... OK thank you. Does being a co-borrower on my husbands loans and store credit cards help or would it be better to get my own?

Aug 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
    They should help some, but if you want to raise your score, credit in your own name will help more.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 17, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Write a letter and ask the questions and tell them to remove errors... it is not unusual of those agencies that score credit to keep imformation that are out of date... increase income will also help with a credit score...
    dlc Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Sep 15, 2006, 12:42 PM
    30% of your credit score is based upon how much debt you have.
    Part is your debt to income ratio and part is how much available credit you have vs how much you've used. If you are using more than 50% of your credit limit you are adversely affecting your score. You have two choices, pay down your debt or get your limit increased (but do not add more debt.)
    Check www.myfico.com for more information about credit scores.

Also be aware that if you open 4 or 5 new accounts in a relatively short period your credit score will go down. Each inquiry negatively impacts your score. One will bounce back quickly, but several will take awhile to recover from.
    Gordon Lemming Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JuLee
    Hi, question... 3 years ago, i had a credit score of about 580 (college years, ugh, i wont go there). Today, my score is at a 643. I've been paying my bills ontime EVERYTIME for 3 years now, even with higher than min payment. Shouldn't my score be alot higher after 3 years of perfect payments?

I only have one open credit card and a few loans including my mortgage and no other open or unused accounts. Have had collections in the past but all was paid for 3 years ago....Am I still not doing something right? Or what could I do to increase it more and faster ? :confused:
    You might want to take a look at the following web page: "50 ways to raise your fico credit score."

Good luck.

List of 50 - » 50 Ways To Raise Your FICO Credit Score
    dlc Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Sep 14, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Lemming
    You might want to take a look at the following web page: "50 ways to raise your fico credit score."

Good luck.

List of 50 - » 50 Ways To Raise Your FICO Credit Score

Please note that way # 1 and way # 9 are in conflict with each other; opening the new accounts generates the inquiries that are to be avoided.

Any one thing you do may increase your score in one area and lower it in another. Thus no gain or possible setback.

Also re #7 paying off judgements helps some, but rarely gets it removed from a report. Yes it can happen but don't count on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jerry goldsmith score [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can purchase Jerry Goldsmith's score "the secret of nimh"? I want to analyze it for a project in one of my music classes. Any ideas? Thanks

Beacon score [ 3 Answers ]

Although I don't worship the beacon score, I would still like to know what my score is occasionally... does anyone know where you can find your score without having to pay, or do you have to pay to get it?

Credit Score... [ 4 Answers ]

Someone might have asked this question, but there are so many posts that I couldn't go through them all. My question is: How many points does one's credit score go down, after, let's say a bank or a car dealer check the credit to see if you qualify? :confused: Thanks in advance.

FICO score unchanged [ 8 Answers ]

I began cleaning up my credit about 8 months ago. The results have been great... except even though items have been deleted and paid off my score has not changed! It is my understanding the FICO score is fluid and changes as information on the credit report changes, but this has not happened. ...

Credit score change [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm re-building my credit and I can view my credit score online. Last month it was 583, and this month it changed to 579. I have paid all bills in full. Could it be that in the last cycle my balance was just $3 under the credit limit? Thank you!

View more questions Search