Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITOC Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Network Path Not Found
    I am trying to join a XP sp3 client to a windows server 2000 domain. The domain only has 1 dc which is doing both dhcp and dns at the same IP. I have Domain Admin rights and can configure the server and I believe that I have the dhcp scope and dns settings correct. They get pushed to the client when it gets an ip address, but when I try to join it to the domain I get the Network Path cannot be found error. Thanks in advance!
    CT
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Feb 18, 2009, 12:10 PM

With only one domain controller you should have DNS installed and all clients pointing to the domain controller for DNS. If you have that done try using the fully qualified domain name and the short name sometimes it's particular about the one your using.

Of course if you haven't already turn firewalls off and make sure you can ping the server and the PC from both locations.

Feb 18, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Firewalls are off. DNS resolves server name from PC and PC name from server (verified with ping). I have only been using the fully qualified domain name, but just on chance I tried the short name, but still get the same error.
    Dc controller is 192.168.1.106
    Xp PC is 192.168.1.113
    Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1
    DHCP server is 192.168.1.106
    DNS server is 192.168.1.106

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by michealb View Post
    With only one domain controller you should have DNS installed and all clients pointing to the domain controller for DNS. If you have that done try using the fully qualified domain name and the short name sometimes it's particular about the one your using.

Of course if you haven't already turn firewalls off and make sure you can ping the server and the pc from both locations.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Feb 18, 2009, 12:28 PM

Can you ping the server by name not just IP address?
    Has the domain always had one dc or have any been removed since the last time you added a PC to the network?
    Make sure all automatic services are running (except perf logs and things like that).
    See if you can connect to the server by going to run and typing \\servername and putting in the admin user name password when prompted.

Feb 18, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Ok, I found the answer - thanks for your help michealb!
    I had taken the windows 2000 Domain Controller from being the default gateway for the entire network to installing a cheapo router. It was having some network performance issues that I think were related to outdated drivers for one of the NICs. I disabled one NIC, updated the other and am using the one only. Funny thing, file and print sharing were not enable on the properties of that NIC. Click the checkbox and whala! I am in the domain. Man, this cost me about 2.5 hours of digging for the answer. Im feeling pretty stupid about now, but the tough lessons are most often easier to remember the next time right?

Quote Originally Posted by michealb View Post
    Can you ping the server by name not just IP address?
    Has the domain always had one dc or have any been removed since the last time you added a pc to the network?
    Make sure all automatic services are running (except perf logs and things like that).
    See if you can connect to the server by going to run and typing \\servername and puting in the admin user name password when prompted.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 18, 2009, 01:24 PM

Open your Network Properties window that shows all of your network cards. Click on Advanced in the toolbar. Take a look at the Binding Order for all of your network cards. I am willing to bet that your incactive card was set higher in the binding order than your active one.

In cases where you have multiple NIC's installed in your computer (ie. Bluetooth, wireless, wired, etc.), always place your primary NIC at the top of the binding order. This will also help with backup programs that use a client agent for a Push instead of a server Pull type backup.

Your DNS server can be configured to listen on specific addresses or all allocated addresses. If this is the case, then the binding order is even more important.

Also, if you are going to use the NetBIOS domain name for joining your computers to the domain without the use of a WINS server on your network, you will have troubles. Always use the FQN when joining clients to the domain.

Without making assumptions about your DHCP server, make sure that your DHCP Scope is registered with Active Directory (if in use) and also make sure that at the least, the scope options include your domain, DNS server and gateway address.

Your Domain Controllers that are operating as a Dynamic DNS servers should be manually configured for IP address and point to themselves for primary DNS. If your Router has basic DNS caching capabillities, configure your Router as your DNS Forwarder address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network path was not found [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have had 2 desktop computers running off a DSLmodem/router for a while now, both can access the internet and both can share files and printers etc to each other. Now that I have bought a Laptop I have tried to connect it up to everything as well. I have managed to get internet working...

Network path was not found [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shared file set up on 4 computers. The main computer rebooted and now when the other computers try to connect to the network files we get the error the network path was not found. This connection has not been restored. Can someone tell me what to do

Network path not found [ 1 Answers ]

Error net work path not found

Network path cannot be found [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When I try to join a computer (Win XP-SP2) to the domain, a prompt comes up asking for the domain administrator credentials. Once I submit the credentials, I receive a message: The computer cannot be joined to the domain"<domainname>" Network path cannot be found Please help me out as...

View more questions Search