Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shyamalhcc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 06:14 AM
    System running slow in XP after installation of Mcafee
    Ifter installation of Mcafee Antivius my system taking long time to boot in XP
    Teracomm Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2009, 11:45 AM

I had this too. Try un-installing then installing a free virus scanner like AVG. Also make sure you only have one virus scanner installed at any one time.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Feb 18, 2009, 12:18 PM

You can also go into Macafee and adjust the scan time. A Lot of time if you don't keep your computer on all the time the antivirus program will just kick off the scan the next time your using your computer which slows it down. See if you can adjust it to a time when your not using it or set it to Manuel scan only and run the scan when you have time.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 01:39 PM

With a free tool from Microsoft (sysinternals) you can adjust the prioriy lower of mcshield.exe so it doesn't bog things down as much.

You can do the same for windows indexing service.

Both can annoy you to the point that you cannot get anything done.
    Texas Turkey Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
    KISS has the good answer. I run 3 different bug softwares and you need to get the timing right or it will slow you down. I have Norton's Systemworks 2006 as the main one. I do not have it scanning on startup. Check and see if yours is doing a quick scan on startup. That could be your problem.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 12:21 PM

Windows is the most stupidest operating system I have ever seen. As an example; Whay is the 'System idle process" the same as the applications?

Firefox could benefit by being able to change priorities within the application for each window. Now when it re-starts and creates the closed windows. It keeps putting the new window in front of your face. They should open in the background.

Acrobat within Firefox annoys me because:
    1) It doesn't load in the background
    2) Won't let you stop it
    3) The ESC key won't dismiss a window.

Windows does what IT wants to do. Take a look at the software update process.

And remember "If your cars ran on the Windows OS, we'd all be walking".
    Texas Turkey Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 12:26 PM

Unfortunately most of the business world is still stuck in the 80's. I prefer Linux. It is a lot easier to use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Compaq Presario 160GB hd running XP is running very slow [ 8 Answers ]

computer is running very slowly in everything, except the internet.anti virus programs and a few anti-spyware programs. Stinger, windows defender, AVG Free, Ad-Aware and spyware Doctor.the computer even restarts randomly by itself! Says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I do not know the...

Blower fan is running very slow [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn on the A/C at my house it running 5 min and then is stopped ,but the unit out side still running.I did change the control board and the capacitor already but is still happen again.I check the motor blower is really hot.also when the blower fan run was very slow,it not running like...

Running slow [ 3 Answers ]

My computer is running so very slow. I have removed temporary files and . Defraging didn't help. Help please

Computer is running slow [ 2 Answers ]

My computer is running slower than usual. What can I do to fix this problem? Thank you

PC running slow [ 27 Answers ]

Hello. Hopefully someone can give me a clue... I have a Dell Dimension 4550 2.5GHz, 1Mb RAM, 60Gb hard drive running XP SP2 and (amongst other things) McAfee (scan, firewall, spam... ) and AOL for Internet access. Over the past month my PC has started running progresively slower and slower, boot up...

View more questions Search