Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 03:38 AM
    Use of water pic
    My now 6 year old has many cavities between teeth. Dentist wants us to floss him but he has such a small mouth and it ends in tears. Is the waterpic a good idea?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 04:20 AM

God, what an undertaking, flossing a 6 year old's teeth ! Yes, try anything. It may be a good idea, mom. I don't know what other options there are. He will lose those teeth anyway, but dentist is trying to save the gums, so the new teeth will survive.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 04:32 AM

The teeth affected will be in his mouth until he is 12. He needs to get those teeth cleaned. I am very stressed about all the work that needs to be done.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 04:32 AM

Waterpiks are good for flushing out food debris but they do not remove the stickly bacteria film called plaque. Plus, you are only going to be asking for a real mess in your bathroom! The plaque is what you have to remove and yes, flossing is the only answer. It is not an impossible task and it's a wonderful habit to introduce at a young age as it will help your child have a healthier mouth for the rest of his life.

The best time to floss his teeth is at bed time after brushing his teeth. Have him lying in bed with his head on your lap to floss the lower teeth, then have him lay right across your lap so his head hangs over the side making it easier for you to see his top teeth. Kids don't mind hanging upside down for a few minutes and it saves your neck and back!
    You can either use floss wrapped around your fingers or purhcase some flosspiks (child size).
    Remember, after flossing each space to wipe the plaque off the pik or move the floss on your fingers.

THE BEST METHODS FOR REMOVING THE STICKY PLAQUE FILM FROM TEETH ARE MECHANICAL... BRUSH AND FLOSS.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 05:18 AM

How about those dental brush like picks or how about a dental pic
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 07:19 PM

No, you need to use floss on children. There's nothing to fret about, many parents floss their children's teeth, it's just part of being a parent. You teach your children good hygiene habits that will help them through life. You'll be happy to hear this... boys need parental help with brushing and flossing until they are between 10 and 12 yrs of age due to slower developing manual dexterity.
    SMILE... it's all worth it in the end.:D
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 07:43 PM

I got the water pic anyway, figure it would not hurt. He let me floss, but I could not get into the back even with the children's flosser.. his mouth is too small. Can't figure out what to do.

Would a dental cleaning every 3 months instead of six help?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 08:03 PM

Yipes! Never knew there were so many different floss aids. See what a simple search revealed?

DENTAL FLOSS AIDS | Healthier teeth and gums by flossing at Dentist.net

Of course going to the dentist every 3 months will help, but you also need to work on the habit.

Not sure if Plax (pre brushing rinse) is appropriate for kids, but it does help. An electric tooth brush with a rotating head also works, but it won't be too much help between the teeth.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 08:56 PM
    You sound as though you don't want to take on the responsibility of your child's dental care. Brush twice a day, floss his teeth and use a toothpaste that has fluoride in it. You only need to use a pea size amount of paste on the brush and be sure your son spits the paste out. I'm sure your dentist would be happy to bill your for cleaning your son's teeth every 3 months until he can do it himself.

Let me know how the waterpik works out... lol
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 07:05 AM

flossie, I brush my sons teeth twice a day with fluoride tooth paste and use a rotating head toothbrush. We use after brush fluoride rinse. My son goes every 6 months but was very un trusting of the docs so he only had his first cleaning this past summer.

I have been more than diligent and take offense that you believe I am lax in his care. I do take responsibility for his care and was simply asking for help so he does not continue getting cavities.

As far as flossing I was not aware until recently that I needed to floss his teeth. I have a very small child with a very small mouth and I can not figure out how to get to the back of his mouth.

Laugh as you wish... I am willing to try anything that will help. I do not believe that is a sign of a neglectful parent.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 06:38 PM

Mommy,

It sounds like you are doing as you should be but I think you are adding too many "extras" to your son's daily dental routine.

If you brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss his teeth (you only need to floss the teeth that are touching, if there are spaces the brush should be effective).

Be sure the spin brush you are using is not too big for his mouth, it should have a small round brush head and not a double one. If his mouth is really small you should be using a brush for a 2-4 yr old.

Be careful of the fluoride rinse and paste as you may be over fluoridating your son, remember fluoride is toxic if used in large amounts especially if your son swallows any when brushing and rinsing.

The main thing you have to be aware of is the foods and beverages your son has that contains sugar. If there is any plaque on his teeth, the sugar from these foods will form an acid which eats through the enamel and causes decay.

He should avoid snacking on anything with sugar, snacks of fruits and vegetables are the ideal. Hard cheese is a good way to finish a meal that he can't brush after as hard cheese helps to neutralize the acids being formed by the sugars.

I'm sorry if I upset you.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 06:44 PM

A good old cheddar is what I'd recommend.
    If the floss is getting stuck get the floss that is teflon coated like "Satin Floss", "Glide" or "EzzThru".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

View more questions Search