Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GaryArt Posts: 43, Reputation: 12

Aug 17, 2006, 02:18 AM
    Execution of valid contracts
    My question is: When one of the parties to a contract is a corporation, must an officer or agent of the corporation actually subscribe his or her signature to the document? More specifically, if a duly authorized agent or officer of a corporation merely stamped the written contract with a symbol of some sort (such as a representation of the corporate logo), and no actual signature of any real person was attached, would the contract be valid and enforceable? I need to know this before I pay these folks what they say I owe under a contract I now doubt is legitimate... Thanks. I'll appreciate any guidance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Depends on who has possession of the seal. If this is a corporate seal used to identify and represent the corporation. And its kept secure, then I would suspect that it's a valid indication of completion.

I would also say that there are a number of other issues to determine whether the contract was enforceable. For example, whether the other party adhered to the terms of the contract on their part.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Hello Gary:

It’s an interesting question, and I think the previous experts nailed it. IF the only reason you have to challenge the validity of the contract, IS the signature (or lack thereof), then I think your challenge will fail.

However, I think there is more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryArt
    I need to know this before I pay these folks what they say I owe under a contract I now doubt is legitimate... Thanks. I'll appreciate any guidance.
    Why don’t you know what you owe? What was the contract for? Did you sign it in your home? How long ago did you sign? Why do you doubt it is legitimate? Did they perform EVERYTHING they said they would? Did you? Do you know specifically WHAT performance was expected by each party? Do you have a copy of the contract?

Fill in some of the blanks. You may have more grounds than you think you do.

excon

Aug 19, 2006, 01:22 AM
    Thank all of you for your answers. If this will help anyone formulate a more definitive answer, here's some additional facts: The contract was a loan. The maker of the loan did all that they were required to do under the terms of the contract (i.e. gave me the money). The contract was not executed on their part with any type of corporate seal, but rather, the standard agreement used by them comes pre-printed, including, where the signature or seal of the corporation should be, a representaion of the corporation's dba name in a computer "handwriting" font. The closest analogy I can draw would be to a document purportedly executed by General Motors with a computer-drawn font intended to look like human handwriting saying the word "Chevrolet". My objection to payment stems from a completely unrelated issue - alas one I feel morally correct, but legally insufficient. Thus, I am looking for an alternative to hang my hat on. Again, I'll be grateful for any responses. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2006, 04:18 AM
    In its simplest terms the contract says, we provide you with money, you agree to repay it under x terms. They provided you with the money, now you have to pay. All they need is to produce a cancelled check for the funds cashed by you and any court will agree with them. It matters not how the contract was signed in this case. Unless you can show a breach of some other terms in the contract you have to pay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Yes every without any written contract you still have a legal contract. You asked or requested a loan, they made an offer for the loan, and you accepted that offer and paid you the loan and in return they paid you money. So there was an offer, an acceptance and there was an exchange of something of value.

As part of my duties as Bishop I have a "seal" of my office, papers I sign have this seal put on it, This seal which only I have is my signuture for all purpose on all of my official church papers.

But computer printed names are used all the time, payroll checks is the biggest use of these and before that they put a stamp name on the check

Aug 19, 2006, 10:26 PM
    Thanks everybody... I guess I'll pay them on Monday.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Well of course you said there were other issues or reasons that you did not want to pay, with every contract there are various clauses, if this is a large contract, you may want to have an attorney review it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseball contracts [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to know if a baseball player can sign a major league contract for any time frame including less than a year? Is there any rule, policy, etc. against his doing so?

Apartment contracts [ 10 Answers ]

We have lived in our apartment for 27 years. We have new owners and they want us to sign a new contract. The contract states that we will be financially responsible for all repairs due to the apartment and if repairs are not made that they have the right to take personal possessions from your...

Small uniform design company looking for contracts. Please help. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help, We make uniforms of any kind loking for somebody Who will be intrested. And if you know how to contact city officials for a bid. Help with advice. [email protected]

Execution [ 2 Answers ]

I have a redhat 7.3 linux box with cobol 4.1 installed. I upgraded to redhat linux 9.0. When I try to install cobol license manager it gives error rts32 error 114 while executing the command. The compiler works but one cannot execute programs :(

View more questions Search