Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 07:56 PM
    How many tons of pea gravel...
    do you need to fill a 30x35 area to a depth of 7 inches? And 9 inches? Or how would I figure it out?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 09:28 PM
    first, talk to your supplier, they should be able to tell you the conversion.

when I ordered crushed concrete (patio base), it was about 1.5 tons per cubic yard. So in your case, 30*35*(7/12)= 612.5 cubic feet. Divide by 27 for cubic yards = 22.7 cubic yards. This is about 34 tons, assuming that the pea gravel is about the same weight as crushed concrete... I believe my supplier also said sand was about 1.5 tons per cubic yard, so this might be their general conversion rate. Again, a supply house will tell you how many tons if you give them the cu ft or cu yds. You might want both numbers ready so they don't need to waste time on the conversion.

if you are looking to go 9 inches deep, then you'd need 787.5 cu ft, or 29.1 cubic yards.

I just ordered 22 tons of road base for a patio/walkway. It took one full and one partial dump truck to haul it. Not to mention three hard days of moving crushed concrete shovel by shovel, wheel barrow by wheel barrow. Glad that's done.

another note, I don't know what you are using it for, but be sure to call around to different suppliers. The difference here between the big local landscape supplier and the quarry people was huge... almost a $8 per ton markup from the big supplier and much more expensive for delivery.

if you are having a hard time finding a primary supplier, call a local brickyard and ask them if there is a primary supplier. Or you can also call a local beach... that is actually how I found my supplier. Here in Iowa we have a few artificial lake "beaches" that need to haul in sand every now and then. I talked to a guy at one of them about where they got their sand, and that linked me to the primary supplier. They were also in the phone book, but so were another dozen plus suppliers of rock and landscape supplies.

is this for a playground?

Aug 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Yes, it is for a playground. I called a local supplier this past weekend and they said we'd need 50 tons. At $40 a ton. Ouch! I was hoping the 50 ton estimate was way out of the park... but, I'm not sure.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Let me call my local supplier tomorrow and well see what kind of prices I get to compare.

Ill talk to the landscape people and the primary supplier.

The tonnage isn't too far off from my estimate if you go 9 in deep... about 44 tons. Add a 5% error for highs and lows and you start to approach that 50 ton mark.

$40 per ton sounds insane to me. We'll see what I get.

By the way, the company I use is hallett materials, which is now owned by oldcastle materials. Oldcastle is the forth largest aggregate producer in the us, and owns many companies in many states. Perhaps they own an aggregate supplier near you and you'll get better pricing.

http://www.oldcastlematerials.com/divisions.htm

Has contact info.

Again, will post more info tomorrow.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Sorry I didn't get back to you last week. Got distracted.

Hallett materials said the 1.5 tons per cu yd is right.

Their price is $16.25 per ton, not delivered. I forgot to ask delivery price... I forget how they charge... but again, you're talking about probably 4 trucks to deliver that amount.

The other supplier I looked at, the big landscaping place, sells pea gravel for $27/ton, not delivered. I think they charge something like $6 per ton for delivery... I know Hallett was also more reasonable in this, but I just don't remember the delivery charge...

So... I'd say your cost of $40 per ton is an absolute ripoff, unless they are the only supplier around (still a ripoff) or its just not commonly stocked in those quantities (unlikely) and theyd have to make a special purchase.

So call around. In my case, through the main supplier id spend for 44 tons $715 plus delivery and sales tax versus $1188 through the landscape people. Saving 40% is worth some phone calls. Hope it works out for you.

Aug 22, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Thanks... I will definitely do some calling around. I truly appreciate your reply and research! I'll let you know how it works out :)
    bigbubbahoss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 07:30 PM

We sell pea gravel(#8) for $3 a ton and limestone (#8) for $16 a ton.Price is without delivery but delivery is available.Check out our site Sand,Gravel,Limestone - Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search