Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Looking for some insight.
    Ok, I had a dog for 13 years. She was like my best friend. I told her everything, yes, even though she was a dog she was there for me through everything. It came time to put her to sleep a few years ago and I was absolutely crushed. Although it wasn't my decision, I knew it was the best decision. She was having a really hard time getting around, she couldn't see. We knew she was in pain. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know how hard it is to do something like that because I've been there.

Here's where I'm looking for some answers. My husband has had his dog for nearly 12 years. He can't see, he's in pain, he goes potty all over the house. It's hard for him just to get up if he's been laying down. And now, it's gotten to the point where he actually scares me. I had him outside this past weekend and he had been out for a little while so I was getting ready to bring him in. I said "ok Feivel, let's go inside." and I went to bring him inside, he growled, a really scary growl if I might add, and snapped at me. If I hadn't backed away as fast as I did, I guarantee I would have been bleeding. He's bitten my brother and he actually has bitten me before too. I'm at a loss. He is truly unhappy. He's ran away a couple times already in the past few months. I hate the idea of putting a dog to sleep but what other options do we have? Or is it time?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 17, 2009, 03:09 PM

Has he always been this way with the growling and biting?. or is this just something that has happened since he's gone blind? He could possibly be disoriented, and it scares him if there is a sudden movement. Also, has the vet told you the reason for the blindness, other than old age? It could also have affected part of his brain.

I can see your dilemna, and maybe he needs some tests done at the vet to determine the nature of his behaviour.

Wish I could help more. I know, it's very sad. :(
    techpro Posts: 48, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2009, 03:09 PM
    I have had many dogs that have gone through this same thing.
    If the dog is really hurting that bad I think he should be put down, a dog of that condirion shouldn't have to continue living in such pain, its inhumane. And I don't think he was actually trying to hurt you, but most of the time when a dog is in that kind of condition they can not hear or see you and when you get that close you scared him and he had an instinct to protect himself.
    I hope I have been of some help.

Sincerely,
    Ben
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 03:37 PM

He has recently started the biting but the growling has been going on for a while. I know that he probably wasn't trying to hurt me, but it doesn't change the fact he did almost hurt me. It's gotten bad.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 04:09 PM

Zoe, I know how you feel, my oldest dog will be 14 years old this May. He's almost completely blind, almost deaf, has trouble getting around, but all in all he's still a happy dog.

I have to agree with Starby on this, could be that the aggression is from the blindness, not being able to see what's coming at him. Dogs rely a great deal on their sight, once it's gone it can be very detrimental to their health.

I wish I could say, do this, do that, but in the end you know this dog better than we do and only you and your husband can make this decision.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, it's the hardest part of having a fur baby.
    dena67212 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Feb 17, 2009, 10:28 PM
    Zoe,
    This is exactly what happened to my 16 y/o daschund, Chloe... I actually had to put her to sleep last week on Sunday! It was by far the hardest decision I have ever had to make and I can't honestly tell you that I have recovered from this...
    Chloe had been loving and cuddly and very attatched to me up until about 5 months ago... She had slowly been losing her site and her hearing... She began being aggressive and would bark for no reason.. She would run into the wall occasionally and I know that she was embarressed when that would happen.. At one point, we were laying down, I was petting her and out of nowhere, she bit my chin! I needed 4 stitches... I know that she didn't mean it, I just startled her somehow...
    She was able to eat and walk outside long enough to go potty, but at times she would be walking down the hall and lose control of her bladder or bowels... when she realized it, she would run and hide under the bed... All I wanted was to let her know that it was okay... Her zest for life had gone... She spent all day sleeping...
    Well, last Sunday, we think she had a stroke.. She was miserable and I will never forget the sound that came out of her mouth as she tried to get up... I wish I would've never put her through that... The vet had recommended putting her to sleep a few months prior, but I wasn't ready... I wish I would've made that decision more about her than me... I know that she is no longer hurting, blind, deaf and/or aggressive...
    I struggle now with my loss and hoping that she knows I did this for her... I know that I did everything I could possibly to for her, I just hope she knows that... You should also check out the site How to Decide When to Put Your Dog to Sleep?
    Lots of good advice there...
    I do not know if I will ever be ready for another pet or if this will get any easier, but I can tell you, I have no regrets... this is by far the least selfish decision I have ever had to make...
    I wouldn't change my decision if I had the chance because I know she wasn't happy nor was she herself...
    Just ask yourself who you are trying to protect here...
    I wish you the best of luck...
    ~dena

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I could really use some insight [ 6 Answers ]

I have been living outside of the US for the past few years. I met my ex, who is a native of the country I was living in, 3 years ago. We lived together for 2.5 years but dated for 3. These past two years have been really hard on me because I couldn't find a job that I was happy in and neither us...

I need some insight into what is going on here. [ 12 Answers ]

This guy I have liked since last year, he has never had a girlfriend or kissed a girl before. We are both in our second year of college and I started liking him at the end of last year. I know this is dumb but one night we flirted while we were drunk. My pals there knew I still liked him so...

Need some insight here [ 6 Answers ]

Guys, I need some insight here.. Well, it's been now nearly two months since my ex broke up with me... it's been hurtful.. but I have been there before and the help I got from various sources, especially this website truly did help. At this stage.. I got over the grieving I do believe......

In need of insight [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a string of bad luck. Can you tell me if it is coming to a end soon. Any information would dbe helpful. So what does the future hold for us? Thank you for your time. Carolyn

Help Need Insight [ 2 Answers ]

Happy New Year you wonderful people out there. Blessings and Light to everyone. Please could some of you focus some of that light my way and let me know what 2005 will bring for me in leiu of happiness and finances. Peace and light Reni

View more questions Search