Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moomoolita1922 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Life Insurance Policy
    I leave in California and my sister has stage 4 lung cancer and wants to leave me her life insurance policy for money she owes me but she also owes money to many credit card companies (much more than what the policy is worth). I am I responsible for taking that money and paying her credit debt back?
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 17, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Insurance is paid directly to the beneficiary without going through the estate. The beneficiary would be under no obligation to use it for any specific purpose. So if you are not otherwise obligated to pay her debts, and you are the named beneficiary receiving life insurance proceeds would not make you liable.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 07:54 PM

Make sure also that the insurance policy's premiums are paid and the policy is in force. Just saying someone is going to leave you their life insurance money is not enough. You also be named as a beneficiary by your sister. Be sure that she does the proper paperwork adding you as her beneficiary. She will need your SSN, current address and date of birth to do this. A life insurance policy needs to have a paper trail. She just can't call up and add you. It has to be done on paper in order to be legal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Can you take life insurance out on anyone without there knowledge?

This about Life Insurance Policy [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know if having a LIFE INSURANCE POLICY is permitted in Islam. Please do reply..

Life insurance policy [ 1 Answers ]

I am new Life Insurance Agent, how I will find out potential person who is intersted to take insurance policy.

Life Insurance Policy [ 2 Answers ]

My mother died on 9/22/06 and I was told she had a life insurance policy but have yet to find it. She was married to a man who was a drug addict but he never knew that she had one. What are the steps that I need to take to find one on her or to see if she ever had one? Please someone let me know...

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Will the insurance company deduct any taxes on a life insurance policy? Is the year end taxable?

View more questions Search