Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Sealing Basement Walls
    I'm working through my basement refinishing project and am ready to frame walls set out from the poured concrete walls in part of the basement. I have already taped 2' squares of plastic to several locations on all walls and have seen no moisture after several days. (we have had rain/snow during that period, still no moisture on the walls.) I have been in the house 9 years, never a trace of moisture in the basement.

The Question: should I seal these walls before I frame and insulate?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 12:21 PM

It can't hurt to use a good sealer but I always cover the entire wall with 6 mil plastic before insulating. Be sure your floor plate is pressure treated lumber and your vapor barrier is facing the inside wall surface. Have you considered a radon test before you make this a living space? This product may help for both situations. D-I-Y Deep-Penetrating Sealers for Concrete, Brick, and Masonry
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks B1! To clarify, you suggest vapor barrier against wall, frame & insulate, vapor barrier, dry wall?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 12:28 PM

Kind of, I was thinking batt insulation with its own barrier. Make sure the paper or foil is facing the drywall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing 10' basement walls [ 3 Answers ]

hELLO, I am beginning to frame my basement up for drywall. The foundation walls are 10'. Would it be wise to use 2 x 6 inplace of 2 x 4? Hanging rock (4 X 8) horizontal or vertical? Where do I put the 2' foot remnant drywall on bottom or top? Thanks in advance, Greg.

Sealing moisture from basement walls? [ 7 Answers ]

OK, so a number of you have helped me out on the recent basement flood: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/basement-leaking-through-cinderblock-242374-3.html Many thanks! My solutions to avoid the rain flooding are to re-grade the outside and sink a few drywells connected to downspouts. ...

Sealing off basement drains [ 9 Answers ]

I have 4 basement drains and I am thinking about sealing them off to avoid flooding. I am having my basement refinished (drywall, new bathroom carpet). Should I seal (concrete) all but one drain and install a plug in the last drain? What about the toilet-can it be plugged? Thanks

Cincer block basement outside sealing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cinder block basement in a house that was built in '71. Due to settlement, there may be cracks between blocks and wall that allow mice to get in. How could I seal the house from the outside/or the inside to avoid the mice, which terrify me? I will appreciate your help.

Basement Walls [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and have conflicting advice on how to wall the floating frame. In the bathroom I would like the wall tiles to go to the floor without the strip (baseboard) that goes around the base of the wall. First is this possible? Second, if possible how is it done? I've been told...

View more questions Search