Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Apacer
    Hey guys,

Well for my birthday I was given an Apacer Audio/Steno USB flash drive + MP3 Player + Voice recorder, 64 MB.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good thing? I have no idea. All I know is that for school I need to save powerpoints and I was told to get a jump drive. Will this do the job? Is there anything special I should know about it?

Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 16, 2006, 03:18 PM
    Yes this will the job and more, the only down side is the limited storage (Memory) so you'll have to keep on top of that.
    It will act hapily as a standard flash drive and you'll be able to C&P you files on to it.
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Well, I not' plan to use the MP3 or voice recorder. Will it still be limited in its capacity to hold powerpoints?

And, if so, about how many? Would I be better off using a disc or will this hold more?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Don't put mp3s on it or use it as a voice recorder. You'll fill 64mb quickly. Depending on the size of the PP files you want to put on it, it should serve you well as a portable storage device.

... and based on the brand name (never heard of it), don't rely on it solely. Be sure you have good backups elsewhere.

Happy Birthday!
    BossMan

Aug 16, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Well, I not' plan to use the MP3 or voice recorder. Good call
    Will it still be limited in its capacity to hold powerpoints? Yes as they are still data

And, if so, about how many? Some, depends on the size ;)
    Would I be better off using a disc or will this hold more? This will be fine
    If this was mine I would keep it for MP3 and grab a simple Flash (Jump) drive as they are pretty cheap for a lot of storage.
    You want a 256 Mb at least 1 Gb in preference, about £40 in the UK.
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Aug 16, 2006, 03:30 PM
    I would return the gift and go here
    Where you can buy a 1gb drive for $25. The other stuff on the device you received... mp3 player, voice recorder all sound like fluff. 64mb is too small for much of anything.
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Well, I would love to return the gift, but it is from a family member and it would hurt her feelings. (12 year old daughter)

Also, I am on a VERY limited budget now. Only one income (small) and school is expensive and I just found out I need a new car, which I cannot afford right now, not for the next 2 years.

So, if I stick to PP at school and come home and make a folder on my computer, erase the stick and start all over, will it work for me?
    BossMan

Aug 16, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Yep that would be your best move ;)
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 04:01 PM
    I appreciate the help.

BTW will it hold at least 20 pps?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Aug 16, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I appreciate the help.

BTW will it hold at least 20 pps?
    It depends on the content of the Power Point files that you have really. If your Power Point file has only bullets (words), some embedded power point art then you can have quite a few files. If your power point presentation has lots of photos in it then that will eat up a lot of space.

To give you an idea... I just did a quick survey of what I have on one of the network drives at work and out of 1000 power point files it seems the vast majority of power point files were under 1 Meg (a good deal under 500KB) and those had anywhere between 10 to 100 slides (I'd hate to sit through that briefing). Some of the larger power point files were upwards of 50MB and those had mainly pictures in them and were about 20 slides. A few of the files I looked at had 50 or 60 slides and mostly words (some clip art) and those were around 500KB-1MB in size. One file I had looked at had around 30 slides with a mix of words and partial screen shots (about 40% of the slides had screen shot captures and 60% were words/bullets) and the size on disk was about 1MB. The presentation was a training presentation showing people how to use a computer program using words/bullets and some partial screen shots.

So if I had that 64MB thumb drive I would be able to store about 60 of those presentations each having 30 slides.

Hope that helps you get an idea.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search