Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meenasuresh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 09:23 AM
    How to train 20 months boy to talk?
    Hi
    I am having 20 months old son. He is not talking but he can able to understand what we are talking. He is answering our questions by some actions and various sounds.I don't know how to train him to talk.Give me some ideas.

Meenasuresh.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 17, 2009, 09:38 AM

Talk to him. I have several grandchildren who didn't speak until age 4. We and their parents were worried since they didn't speak much even at age 2.5 or 3. Between ages 3 and 4, they exploded!

It may be slightly disturbing for an age 20 months child not to talk, but it's not all that unusual. I remember meeting a two-year-old neighbor girl who talked up a blue streak, but another two-year-old neighbor boy didn't talk at all.

I have one slightly autistic grandson who's approaching 5. He's in intensive speech therapy and is doing fairly well.

Continue talking to him and he will probably grow out of it. If he is still slow of speech by age 4, put him in speech therapy.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 09:51 AM

Wait!

Children normally begin talking at AROUND 24 months. But not exactly. You are impatient with your child. Slow down. By the time he's four you will wish he would stop talking for one second.

And, yes, continue to talk to him conversationally. You are right that he already understands a LOT of what you are saying, both the specific words and your intonation and intentions. Your gestures also count.

Just be loving, spend time with him, read little picture books to him, play music, dance. The language will come naturally.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Rwinteron has a good point too.

Girls tend to talk earlier than boys.

I have sometimes wondered if parents talk to boys less than they do to girls.

I have two sons. They both began talking in sentences at 24 months.

Like "Cookie, please, mama?"
    "Go out now?"

That kind of thing. It was hard to understand at first, but parents are generally motivated to understand!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 10:08 AM

I would simply encourage him to speak.If he wants a drink,tell him to *say drink*.
    Don't reprimand him if he does not say it clearly.Repeat *say drink* and I will give you a drink.

Look at picture books and point out objects while saying the word.Encourage him to repeat the word.Ask him *what is this*? Be sure to give plenty of encouragement and positive reinforcement for his efforts.

Engage him in conversation at every opportunity.Ask him frequently*whats this*?

If you remain concerned,it might be advisable to have his hearing tested.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 10:40 AM

Artlady, In this case I strongly disagree about one thing you said.

OP indicates the baby understands them and responds. That's normal for 20 months. Not really talking much is also normal. He should not be talking for four more months.

I would not recommend pressuring him to speak. Pressure could backfire. He will talk when he is ready. Just love him. If he's 26 or 27 months and nothing, then I would get concerned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

My girlfriend of 9 months seems to not want to see or talk to me anymore [ 5 Answers ]

OK so we have been going out nine months now and I love her so much and I think she loves me still but lately things have been really strange. 70% of the time when I call she doesn't answer and later makes a convenient excuse about it. She hardly ever calls me anymore she doesn't text me anymore...

No menstrual cycles after giving birth 16 months ago and weaning 2 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

I gave birth in July 2007 and nursed my son until the middle of September 2008. Unlike after I gave birth to my daughter 5 years ago, I did not resume my menstrual cycles as I continued to nurse my son and would only have a few days of spotting. Now, it has been 2 months since I totally weaned...

7 months on F1; 2 months on OPT; 3 months on H1B - what tax form should I Use? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, 1. I am Indian Citizen 2. I am single 3. I was in school from July 2005 to May 2007. I graduated from school in May 2007. 4. I started working from August 13, 2007. a) First on, OPT until September 30, 2007 b) then on H1B visa from October 1, 2007 to December 31, 2007 (Still working)...

Bleeding 3 months straight after depo shot 4 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

The birth control shot I got was supposed to be good for 3 months. I got it 4 months ago, so I realize it should have worn off by now. Everything was fine for the 1st month, but for the past 3 MONTHS, I my vagina has continually been bleeding. After it had been doing this for 3 weeks I called to...

View more questions Search