Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brad platt Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 08:03 AM
    My harley not selling
    I have a 1999 roadking for sale it only has 18,000 miles on it its very clean lot of chrome new tires leather bags I'm only asking 9,000.00 for it witch I think is an awesome price but not one offer what's up I know the economy is bad but not one offer am I crazy asking 9,000.00 or what please enlighten me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 08:08 AM

I did a goggle search and found at leat 6 selling at less. I found one on eBay that was not even getting any bids.

1. winter, is one issue, in the summer cycles sell better ( at least in this area)

2. spending, people are not spending as much on extras, dealerships offer finance options that you can't

3.Price I did find several for sale at lower prices ( and some up to13000 also) but the price did not appear to be as "blow away" as you make it sound from the search I did.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 07:11 PM

OK my house appraised at $615K less than a year ago and now appraises at $429K. That kind of tells you what relative values have done in the past 11 months. You may feel $9k is a great price but in today's market$7k maybe more appropriate. Like Fr-Chuck points out, this is a bad time to try to sell a bike. Things should start to look up in 2-3 months.
    Avery92050 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2009, 09:41 PM
    Brad... I really think it is the economy. I have a '96 Ultra Classic and have it for sale for $7400 and I've had only one offer (and I think it was some kid trying to impress his friends). Hang in there, I'm sure it will eventually sell and you're not asking too much!
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 8, 2009, 10:04 AM

18,000 miles is not what the average shopper is looking for.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NJExit9 View Post
    18,000 miles is not what the average shopper is looking for.

What IS the average shopper looking for?
    NJExit9 Posts: 31, Reputation: -1

Mar 8, 2009, 03:52 PM

I'm a Harley owner and would NEVER buy anything used with over 15,000 miles for a premium price. The best warranty Harley has is 7 years.
    Avery92050 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2009, 05:31 PM
    That's the problem w/ people looking to buy a bike (HD) now-a-days. They look at the speedo and that doesn't say anything about the way you took care of your motorcycle and the time you spent keeping it running perfect.

I too am a "Harley owner" and have been for the last 35+ years and when I've purchased a bike I've never "honest to god" looked at the speedometer. I've started the bikes... listened to the motors w/ something like a stethoscope (or a screwdriver), each lifter and push rod assy, rockers, oil pump the bottom end and the pistons, wrist pins and rods... and then take it down the road and shift through all the gears. Making sure that these things are OK are the most important things (I think)... the rest of the stuff is all relpaceable relatively cheep.

I need say this '96 I have is the first "Evo" I've had and I do love it. What I've been referring to are all the Shovels and Pans I've had. And to be honest, most haven't had working speedos. :cool:
    brad platt Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NJExit9 View Post
    I'm a Harley owner and would NEVER buy anything used with over 15,000 miles for a premium price. The best warranty Harley has is 7 years.
    I wasn't asking for an opinion from north jersey and god bless you you never have to buy used
    deletor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brad platt View Post
    i wasnt askin for an opinion from north jersey and god bless ya you never have to buy used
    15,000 mileage is not bad at all. As many already have found out, Harley Davision is not selling well these days. It's not just the bad economy. More people especially the younger go for sport bikes instead. Harleys have been overpriced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vaseline and a Harley. [ 4 Answers ]

A guy wanted to buy a motorcycle. He doesn't have much luck until, one day; he comes across A Harley with a 'for sale' sign on it. The bike seems even better than a new one, although it is 10 years old. It is shiny and I n absolute mint condition. He immediately buys it, and asks the...

Harley motormount [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new HD rubber motor mount on my 2000 road king. Torqued all bolts to the proper lbs. now when idling the motor doesn't shake at all but when ridden I get a lot more vibration then I use to. The dealer service dept. says it will stop after it brakes in but so far 700 miles letter it...

Harley Davidson [ 3 Answers ]

The inventor of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle, Arthur Davidson, died and went to heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur. 'Since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is, you can hang out with anyone you want to in heaven.' Arthur...

View more questions Search