Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 12:31 AM
    Numbing spray for tattoos/piercings.
    Ok, first I must say WOW--this forum has almost completely been taken over by translations for sanskrit. Anywhoozers...

I was wondering if I were going to get a tattoo or piercing would numbing spray be able to be used?
    SuperGirlsCrazi Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 01:13 PM

They didn't on my tattoo... but I know when you have your tongue peirced they have you swish listerine stuff around in your mouth that has numbing stuff in it... and other than my tongue I don't have any peircings and most of my friends did their own
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 12:02 AM

That stuff is to clean your mouth. I'm wondering about actual numbing spray. But thank you for your response. Did you tell your friends that piercing themselves is very dangerous?
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

Feb 20, 2009, 01:03 AM

I have never heard of numbing spray. And as far as tatoos go, I don't know of anybody that had a numbing agent applied before a tattoo.
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 01:06 AM

I've heard of people using numbing spray on piercings... but not tattoos.

I used to get it all the time with shots cause I faint with needles.
    EnglishSolution Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 01:28 AM

Hey, I have had about 10 tattoos, and 12 piercings, the best advice I can offer you is that when going to a tattoo parlor you really have to have your best interests at heart, there is not a numbing spray but you may be able to attain, "novicane" which is a numbing gel generally used to administer to skin when you want a certain area to lose feeling. I have used it once or twice and you need to apply it directly to your skin an hour or so before receiving your tattoo.

I actually don't feel much when getting tattooed, I have one on my foot which is the most painful other then your rib cage. It really depends on where you are having your tattoo placed.

I really hope this helps you

Best wishes and Cheers.
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 01:30 AM

I know that you can get a numbing spray for piercings, I'm just wondering if this is something that most places carry or no...

Thank you for the tip on the Novocaine. I have a very low pain tolerance, so I'm trying to find ways or methods to make it less painful.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:02 AM
    I used the numbing cream for my second tattoo (available at chemists) , worked like a charm! You have to apply it 2 hours before getting the tattoo and keep the area covered with plastic wrap. It only lasts for about 20-30 minutes after you take the plastic off but all I felt was a slight tingling/vibration no pain at all.
    Vision Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 09:34 AM

Awesome, thank you!!
    Boarer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Hi Chi,

There are many products out there that can be used for numbing the area of skin before and during having a tattoo. Emla cream (not that great because you have to leave it on for 3-5 hours beforehand for it to work and then it will only work for about 20mins), Vasocaine, Xylocaine etc. basically any spray or gel that contains Lidocaine, Benzocaine and Tetracaine which are used in any topical aneasthetic will do the job but it's all about the prep if you want it to work before the tattoo starts and not after the lining is completed.

My recommendation is to ONLY use it on areas like ribs, feet, wrists neck etc. any of the usual areas for tattoos like arms legs back etc. the pain really isn't so bad and it's one of those things where using medicines that have side effects should only be if there really is no alternative. It's the pain that generally makes it pleasurable and it's the endorphines and adrenaline which is released due to the pain which makes you want to get more - not just because having a tattoo is fun. There is a lot more chemistry going on behind the scenes.

I'm a trainee tattoo artist and so I don't have that much experience with these sprays/gels and creams but I am currently doing some studies and tests to see which products that are available work the best and how to use them to their best ability.

You can read my findings so far at http://www.victoriaboarer.com/index.php/2009/07/what-is-the-best-numbing-cream-or-topical-anaesthetic-for-tattooing/ and I will be posting my findings in the next week or so.

Hope this helps and have fun with your tattoos.

Vx
    ckyle14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 11:34 PM
    Just Try DrNumb Gel That Can Be FOund @ DrNumb.com
    MissDeBudlieAy Posts: 38, Reputation: -2

Apr 25, 2011, 04:43 PM
    Apparently the numbing stuff wears off after a while and the paain that you would have felt hits you harder. Or so my friend was tole before her tattoo
    EAInk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2011, 11:09 PM
    I'm not an artist, but I am friends with the owner, and artists of the shop I get all my work done. They use Super Juice spray. I've only had it used on myself once getting a tattoo fixed that had a lot of scar tissue from the shoty repairs done to it from another shop. It worked extremely well and I felt minimal pain and at times nothing at all! They use it mostly for permanent makeup in sensitive areas or when a person is very twitchy, jumpy, or their skin moves a lot. A friend of mine has a lot of twitches when he's getting worked on and when the spray is used he's as still as a rock. I hope this info helps, I know this forum was posted years ago, but just in case anyone else comes across this, maybe the info will be useful!
    Vision Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 01:40 PM

Thank you, that is helpful.
    carina1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 11:02 PM
    Numbing spray/creams I know are good for piercing's. If it works with needles I defently think it would work for piercing, it pretty much the same thing.
    riskyy06012k11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
    So when you use the numbing spray for peircings does it work? Because I really want my hips pierced but I will have a seizure because of the needle and the needle going in
    riskyy06012k11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
    Does the numbing spray work for piercings? Because I want my hips or back dimples pierced but I don't like needles and can possibly have a seizure because of the pain even if it is just a couple seconds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tattoos (sin?) [ 150 Answers ]

The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question. Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it? I have thought...

Brain numbing depression [ 8 Answers ]

For the past 20+ years I have been through phases of mania and depression,these past 2 years it seems to be more depression. Now, I am sleeping a lot more than I am awake and my mind numb,the depression headaches are getting painful(this type of headache is like a band of pressure wrapping...

First Tattoos [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering, is it wise to get 2 tattoos at once? I'm not talking about huge ones or anything, just one along the small of my back and one on my wrist. I'm only asking because they will be my first tattoos and I want to know if because of that I should just get them done one at a...

Dog tattoos [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently taken in a lost Doxie. He has numbers tattooed on his tummy. Do you know what for?

View more questions Search