Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    panther196 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 12:17 AM
    Feral Cat Hanging Tree In William Creek,S.Australia
    I just want people to be aware of what goes on in aussie country.This is pathetic & sickening.WARNING.. DISTURBING PHOTOS. http://www.thylazine.org/gallery/catree/
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Feb 17, 2009, 01:19 AM

Hello Panther. I did not click on the link because it will bother me for a long long time to come. I'm pretty sure I know what's behind that link or what the picture is of. I'm just curious if anything is being done about this.?
    BTW, THANKS for posting the warning.
    Animal Lover
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2009, 01:25 AM

Hi, panther196!

Yes, that is definitely disturbing! I wonder why someone would be wanting to do that?

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2009, 10:29 PM

I wish I had a answer for you.These are just CRUEL people.The pics are of 12 dead cats hanging from a tree.Real mature aussies in William Creek.. UGH!!

Feb 17, 2009, 10:55 PM

I'm still going to have to pass on opening the link but I do believe you. I don't know what the laws are out there by you if any. I'm one of those people that would take lotto winnings (dreaming... ) and take in all strays, unadopted, or unwanted animals. I hate to admit it but I would even do this before feeding starving people around the world. It's just my passion. As far as the people who hurt and kill animals, and will eventually move onto hurting and killing people, well I'd use that money to... oh, I don't know... maybe hang them on trees by the you know what's.

I see there's a link for "Trapping Cats"? I guess for the kind hearted ones who want to safely trap them and then take them somewhere for love and care?

Thanks for sharing.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 17, 2009, 11:46 PM

I couldn't open the link. The mere thought of this makes me sick. It takes a real sick, twisted person to do something like that. Whoever did that deserves nothing less then the same.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 10:13 PM

Um well that is pathetic! Poor kitty cats:(
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Mar 26, 2009, 08:25 AM

HAVE YOU NOTIFIED PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals!) They will check into it, as they are the most aggressive animal protection advocate, that I know of...

A monster just poisoned my dear friend in Anaheim, California, USA... precious kitty, In fact over 15 animals, cats, possums, and other small creatures have been killed by some cruel person this way. This is just within a 1/2 mile or less area, what if a human child got a hold of it?? So many people are evil... God Bless you for letting us know about this... I did open the thread and it is not bloody or gory... just think of humans, especially blacks in the early part of this century in USA being seen like this!

Mar 26, 2009, 01:52 PM

I hate to bust your bubble but if you look past the face PETA is far from what they want you to think they are. They kill astounding amounts of animals, usually without even trying to adopt them out. Yes they have been caught picking animals up from caring people, killing them in the van and dumping them in grocery store dumpsters. They even took a cat and kittens from a vet office, which were among the animals found in the dumpster. The sad thing is that so many people see them as heroes and donate money when they are just paying for the euthanasia. In fact PETA thinks that dogs should be extinct.
    Here's a links for you so you can do some research yourself:

PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 06:53 AM

The RSPCA should be looking into it!!
    Useless bunch of so and so's they are!

Kind of reminds me of the kangaroos we have here. I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it, when my friends partner sees a kangaroo that's been hit by a car he always props them up by the side of the road, puts a scarf on them and a can of beer in their hand. It's become a thing here that everyone knows about :o
    (note: the kangaroos are already dead, don't stress, he's not cruel)

Mar 28, 2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the link Silverfox. That is awful. First time I heard of this. Will forward the link to just about everyone I know and thensome. Pass around that info in other ways as well in hopes of being heard or something being done. Maybe we can somehow speak out for the poor animals of this crazy crazy world.

Mar 29, 2009, 02:00 AM

I was surprised too when I first heard about Petas true face and sickened when I looked into it. I watched a video with an interview with the vet who's office they took the cat and kittens from. The also are huge supporters of BSL and are pushing for it wherever they can.

Pet ownership is an "absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human
    manipulation."
    -Ingrid Newkirk, PETA

"In a perfect world, animals would be free to live their lives to the fullest: raising their young, enjoying their native environments, and following their natural instincts. However, domesticated dogs and cats cannot survive "free" in our concrete jungles, so we must take as good care of them as possible. People with the time, money, love, and patience to make a lifetime commitment to an animal can make an enormous difference by adopting from shelters or rescuing animals from a perilous life on the street. But it is also important to stop manufacturing "pets," thereby perpetuating a class of animals forced to rely on humans to survive." PETA pamphlet, Companion Animals: Pets or Prisoners?

That's right, we are all evil for "enslaving" our pets and we shouldn't be allowed to own them. Petas perfect world doesn't have your cats or dogs in it.

"I am not a morose person but I would rather not be here. I don't have any
    reverence for life, only for the entities themselves. I would rather see a
    blank space where I am. This will sound like fruitcake stuff again, but at
    least I wouldn't be harming anything."
    Ingrid Newkirk - Founder, PETA
    Washington Post, November 13, 1983

They would rather see dogs dead and extinct then in good homes. I rest my case.

Mar 29, 2009, 02:11 AM

Ah, here we go. Almost as sick as this tree. I can't post all of the trial so read about it on the link provided if you have the stomach. It gets worse then what's posted below. The wrose part is they got off almost scott free.

January 24, 2007 | Day Three at the PETA-Kills-Animals trial saw opening statements, some witness testimony, a request for a mistrial, and new revelations about events surrounding the 2005 arrests of PETA employees Adria Hinkle and Andrew Cook.

One juror was sent home before the trial got underway, presumably for medical reasons (she arrived in court wearing a hospital bracelet), so the first "alternate" juror has been promoted to the real thing. The jury now includes nine African-Americans and three Caucasians, and is split 50-50 between men and women.

District Attorney Valerie Asbell opened the trial with a 16-minute opening statement, walking the jury through an outline of her case. We learned that June 15, 2005 wasn't the first time dead animals were found in a trash dumpster behind an Ahoskie, NC Piggly Wiggly store. The same thing happened on the mornings of May 19, June 2, and June 9. On those three Thursdays, police found trash bags containing the bodies of 58 dogs and 3 cats. The final 31 dead animals were recovered on June 15 after Hinkle and Cook were taken into custody.

So when the next week rolled around, Detective Jeremy Roberts testified today, police were ready. They staked out the dumpster on Wednesday afternoon. They followed Hinkle and Cook as they drove to a veterinary clinic, to an animal shelter, and to the Piggly Wiggly. And they asked an animal-control officer to take photographs of all the shelter's animals for comparison with anything they might recover from the dumpster. (Not surprisingly, they matched.)

The most heart-wrenching detail in the prosecution's case so far involves a cat and two kittens Hinkle and Cook allegedly took from the Ahoskie Animal Hospital on the false promise that PETA would find them adoptive homes. Asbell describes the scene:

On this day, on June 15, [an Ahoskie Animal Hospital employee] called and said that they had a momma cat and two kittens, and they were in good shape. They wanted to adopt them out. When Ms. Hinkle and Mr. Cook went to the shelter on that date, they walked inside, and Ms. Tonya Northcott, one of the employees at the Ahoskie Animal Hospital, came out from the back, and said "You're here for the kittens, the cat and the kittens."... And she said "yes." She went back to the back, got the carrier, got the momma cat, got the two baby kittens, brought them out, and handed them to Ms. Hinkle.

Ms. Northcott said to her: "These animals -- you're not going to have any -- well, you'll be able to adopt these cats out. We've socialized them, we've played with them, they've had their shots, everything's fine with them." Ms. Hinkle looked at Ms. Northcott and said: "We'll have no problem finding homes for these cats. None at all."

There was a little girl standing in the front as well. And the little girl had adopted the brother of one of the kittens. And she was looking at the kittens. And Ms. Hinkle looked at her and said: "We'll have no problem placing, we'll have no problem helping these cats." At that point, Ms. Hinkle and Mr. Cook left, they took the cats, left, went out and got back in the van.

Those cats ended up in a trash dumpster less than an hour later.

Detective Roberts also provided a firsthand account of the discovery of PETA's "death kit" -- a tackle box filled with lethal drugs and syringes:

Inside the tackle box were several needles, and several bottles of drugs. Some of the bottles still had needles stuck in the top of them. There were syringes in the tackle box that were already pre-loaded with the drugs, inside the syringes. Also in the van, we found manuals from the organization, PETA.

Roberts later described those "manuals" as "S.O.P. manuals" -- short for PETA's Standard Operating Procedures.

Lawyers for the two defendants spent over a half-hour on their opening statements. PETA's arguments (or excuses, depending on your point of view), are:

* Hinkle and Cook "acted out of love for animals" and "had no criminal intent."
    * PETA kills animals because "there's an enormous animal overpopulation problem."
    * Hinkle and Cook were just doing their job. PETA issued "a work order" (literally) and the employees did the work. Hinkle "was assured by PETA that it was perfectly proper and legal for her to go out and administer lethal injections of sodium pentobarbital."
    * "Those animals would have been put down anyway."
    * "It was a hot day. They had a van full of animals that were deceased. There's a certain stench," but as far as the dumping goes, "they shouldn't have done it."

The morning's biggest controversy erupted when Asbell asked Detective Roberts if Hinkle and Cook said anything when they were arrested. "Only that they wanted a lawyer," Roberts replied. "It was the first thing to come out of their mouths."

Asking for an attorney is something guilty people often do, and rather quickly. With this cat out of the proverbial bag, defense attorneys asked before lunch for a mistrial -- quickly denied by Judge Grant -- complaining that the jury shouldn't have heard about it.

The afternoon was all about exhibits -- more than 70 in all. The prosecution admitted into evidence several dozen photographs of dead animals, and pictures taken inside the PETA-owned van. They also presented boxes of black trash bags, a digital camera, PETA's tackle-box "death kit," samples of drugs recovered from inside, and syringes loaded with the deadly barbiturates.

Oct 14, 2009, 04:17 AM

I Don't trust peta.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 07:28 AM

Not that it doesn't make this practice any less cruel but isn't this from the early 2000's, perhaps 2001?

I remember being sickened and disturbed by it at that time - but there have been far more recent instances of cruelty and abuse since then, instances which should be publicized.

While these photos shock and sicken people I'll take the unpopular "argument" from the other side of things - I'm somewhat of an animal activist. I have always had rescues. I volunteered at a shelter for some years. I have worked with the local Animal Control when (while working) I've walked into some terrible situations.

Some years ago a friend dragged me to a video showing concerning a slaughterhouse. I never thought cows committed suicide or volunteered but I was sickened and shocked by what I saw. I also became a vegetarian.

Sometimes the shock value causes people to stop and think - and change.

As far as PETA - I'm not a believer but I still haven't seen anyone come up with another solution.

For all the people who do not believe dogs/cats should be humanely euthanized - what is your solution to overpopulation? Spaying, neutering, of course. But how about the millions of homeless animals that are out there right now?

How many have you adopted? How many do you support? How often do you volunteer?

Sorry if I've offended anyone but somebody has to do something more than post disturbing videos.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Oct 15, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Here's the deal, peeps... keep your cats inside, where they belong. Cats are decimating many bird and small animal species when they are allowed to roam. I do not advocate the cruel way in which they are being dispatched in this particular scenario, but they are not native to most areas and should not be allowed to roam out of doors.

Had to spread the rep, Judy. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Capturing feral kittens [ 8 Answers ]

We are trying to rid our neighborhood of stray cats. I have been trying to catch the kittens when they are 8-10 weeks old, to see if I can tame them enough to be adoptable for others. Anyone have any ideas to accomplish this? They are VERY fast! I've been feeding them, and hope to lead them...

Up the creek without a paddle [ 1 Answers ]

I divorced last year and my ex stated and signed and reaffirmed that he was carrying medical insurance on me. I didn't think he was but called and they confirmed that this was true. Well now that its been over a year and Ive had MRI's and such and he has since remarried I have found out that he...

Up a Creek without a Paddle [ 2 Answers ]

On August 9, 2004 I found out I was pregnant by my boyfriend.  He left the following day on a police mission in Iraq.  I called him and told him while he was in the states, and all he could say was get an abortion and to move on with my life.  Now this isn't like him at all, he has three children...

Feral cat [ 1 Answers ]

Cat you socialize a feral cat? To what extent can be social him. Any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks. Sharon [email protected]

View more questions Search