Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusedMother9 Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Feb 25, 2009, 07:36 PM

I will, Thanks again!

Feb 26, 2009, 04:17 PM

Well,my brother called the probate court & they advised him to get legal help & said they can neither give legal advice or give out any forms. I don't think she fully understood the situation but I guess he is going to wait until he gets his new lawyer. ScottGem, you said that you did not think the judge would award the adoption w/o his consent,right? You do not think they will do it until they have consent even though the adoption was never legally granted or denied? His withdrawing his motion to contest would not count as consent,would it? I'm sorry Im asking so many questions. My brother acts tough some times but I know how much he wants to see his son. I don't want him to miss out on any more years of his life.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedMother9 View Post
    Well,my brother called the probate court & they advised him to get legal help & said they can neither give legal advice or give out any forms. I dont think she fully understood the situation but I guess he is gonna wait until he gets his new lawyer. ScottGem, you said that you did not think the judge would award the adoption w/o his consent,right? You do not think they will do it until they have consent even though the adoption was never legally granted or denied? His withdrawing his motion to contest would not count as consent,would it? I'm sorry Im asking so many questions. My brother acts tough some times but I know how much he wants to see his son. I dont want him to miss out on any more years of his life.

Your brother needs an Attorney who has the ability to look at ALL papers on file and make a legal determination as the status of this adoption - and he needs to do this NOW.

Feb 27, 2009, 09:46 PM

I know,He just doesn't have the retainer price right now. Is it wrong on his part that he is letting her think that he might still sign the papers? This was honestly my idea so she wouldn't try to have things done before he could afford a lawyer. I don't want to get him in trouble.

Mar 6, 2009, 06:18 PM

Can my brother represent himself, should he need to, until he gets an attorney? The mother found out that he was not signing the papers & is threatening further action on the fact that he did sign 2 copies & withdrew his contestment. He honestly can not afford to hire a lawyer on short notice so can he represent himself?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2009, 06:23 PM

He can try, but its not recommended, especially if the other side has an attorney.

Mar 6, 2009, 06:25 PM

What can they do if he does not have an attorney? Can they grant her the adoption on that?

Mar 6, 2009, 06:34 PM

If he tries to go up against an attorney, the attorney will know all the tricks of the trade. So the odds are that he will lose his case for visitation. Since he did sign the adoption papers he might lose that case as well.

Mar 6, 2009, 07:01 PM

Wow,okay,Thanks a lot. I'll see if I can't help him get the money up.

Mar 12, 2009, 08:55 PM

I was wondering if sending the mother's lawyer a refusal to consent would mean anything? Also,could my brother file a refusal to consent with the court until he obtains a lawyer? Because they can not grant the adoption with out his consent so we were thinking maybe this could buy a little time.

Mar 13, 2009, 04:56 AM

Its worth a try. I would file it as a recant or repudiation of his original signing of the document.

Mar 13, 2009, 01:18 PM

Ok,can he file this with the court with out a lawyer? He tried calling & talking to them but they pretty much said they couldn't give him legal advice. He probably didn't explain the situation very clearly to them or he was talking to the wrong person. If you think it's possible to do this with the court, I may make a trip with him down there to ensure he gets the correct things done.

Mar 13, 2009, 04:30 PM

Anyone can file a motion with the court in a case they are involved in. What he should be asking the court is what the process is. That they can advise. He probably asked what he should do.

Mar 14, 2009, 12:57 PM

Yeah,probably so. All of you guys are so helpful. Thanks a lot!

Mar 16, 2009, 01:13 PM

Well,the court told him he had to get a lawyer. Do you all think I should get a second opinion on this? We asked about a refusal to consent and a recant of his withdrawal. They said he needed a lawyer either way.

Mar 16, 2009, 01:32 PM

Okay,can every one give me an honest opinion? The child's mother is trying to convince my brother that he could never get rights & stuff like that. After reading the original post I posted and knowing the facts, do you all think he does have a chance of seeing him? I am trying to convince him that he has rights but I want some second opinions to show him. So please give me an honest response.

Mar 16, 2009, 03:30 PM

I think he has rights, he just has to fight for them. The only thing standing in the way is that he did sign the Relinquishment of rights, but he has the right to repudiate that as long as the adoption wasn't finalized.

Mar 16, 2009, 05:53 PM

Ok,well also to help him out, the papers were done wrong so they were never put into the legal system. Also,she has been emailing him & admitted that she's never wanted him to have anything to do with his son.Could that help him if she tries to say that she's wanted my brother in the child's life? She is being very immature about it,she's trying to threaten him with money issues to sign the papers. Do you think this could be that she's worried that he could get his rights?

And ScottGem,you are truly the greatest! Thank you so much. You are so helpful to me!

Mar 16, 2009, 06:09 PM

Anything that questions her veracity will help.

Mar 16, 2009, 06:19 PM

Im sorry,I hate to sound unedcuated but what exactly does veracity mean? =/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminated parental rights/adoption [ 10 Answers ]

I need some advice or direction in regards to my parental rights being terminated and my daughter being adopted. Do I have any rights? What can I do? Is there any hope? I miss my daughter. Please help me

Relinquishing parental rights after adoption. [ 3 Answers ]

I adopted 2 children in 2001 after I married their mother in 1999. They are 13 and 15. I have since divorced their mother after I caught her cheating with other men. She has been with and moved in many other men since. She is also recently remarried. She has made statements that she only allowed...

Parental rights/adoption [ 5 Answers ]

I have a son on the way and the father wants nothing to do with my child. He has asked several times for a document to waive his rights. I am still deciding whether I need to press him for child support. If he waives his rights does that mean he is not eligible to pay child support? Also, if I...

Parental Rights and Adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I am a mother of an 8 year old daughter in Maryland and I need some advice about her father and my fiancé. My ex-husband, my daughter's father, has not had much contact with her since 2002. He abandon her for a year and a half. He never called her and no one could find him to serve him for child...

Relinquishing parental rights adoption [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We got divorced 4 years ago and I always paid child support on time. My ex got married and I got laid off from work after a few months later... I couldn't find a job and decided to go school instead of wasting time. In the best interest of our child I, my ex and her new husband agreed to allow...

View more questions Search