Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mersea Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Bankruptcy and Credit Card Debt
    My husband and I filed bankruptcy in March of 1999. It was discharged in March of 2000.

Today I go a call from Zellers, saying I had to pay them $319.00, that I still owed.

I was shocked, and told them I thought it was covered under our bankruptcy. They had no record of them being contacted at all.

In the event it was not covered, what recourse do we have? What is the SOL on credit card debt.

Mersea
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Check your bankruptcy records, don't speak to them again, have them put all future contract in writing only, them maybe trying to get you to reaffirm the debt.

SOL depends on what state you live.

Aug 16, 2006, 06:55 PM
    HI:

I live in Ontario Canada. What is the SOL for Credit card debt, if this Zellers debt was not covered by the bankruptcy.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Debt from 1999?

SOL = 6 years

FYI: All debt after Jan 1, 2004 is now only 2 years

Aug 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
    So in other words, they have no legal right to come after us for this debt?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2006, 07:34 PM
    They have a legal right to ask.

Assuming this debt was NOT discharged in your bankruptcy, you will always OWE the money.

However, Ontario laws says that if they do not make an effort to try and collect within 6 years, they can't then come after you for the money.

However, if you reaffirmed to them that you really do owe this money, then the SOL clock will start all over again.

Just tell them that a) it was discharged (if it was). And if it wasn't, just tell them that the SOL is expired.

Aug 17, 2006, 08:14 AM
    I told her when she called that it was covered under our bankruptcy and to call the company we filed with.
    Does this constitute me affirming we owe the debt?
    She will probably call back again, and I want to make sure I am not talking through me hat, if I tell her the SOL is expired.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2006, 02:26 PM
    If I were you…

I would stop communicating with her via the phone.

Instead, I would go check my bankruptcy from 2000 and see if this debt was discharged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card Debt Should I Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My Father Was Given A Credit Card Several Years Ago And Was Financially Unable To Pay It Off. Now He Has Been Served With A Court Date To Pay This Credit Card. He Does Not Own Anything And Is On Social Security, I Heard That There Is Nothing They Can Do To Him To Make Him Pay This Now. Please...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

View more questions Search