Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sporrertwins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 08:31 PM
    Insurance lawsuit vs. personal lawsuit
    My parents recently are trying to work through an insurance settlement for a car accident involving my brother. He was injured. They hired lawyer to assist with the settlement. A sheriff brought a letter to the others involved stating my parents intent to sue. They had thought it was within insurance. Is this protocol? What is the difference between sueing within insurance and sueing personally?

My parents prefer it is settled within insurance of the parties since they are friends and do not want to sue beyond a settlement within insurance, is there something they need to be sure of so their lawyer does not go beyond that? Is it normal for those involved to received notice of being sued when it is within insurance and not above and beyond that?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2009, 05:20 AM

Hello s:

When somebody damages somebody else, somebody gets sued... Insurance companies didn't damage anybody, so THEY aren't the ones to sue.

The person who caused the damages gets sued. If HE wants his insurance company to represent him or simply just pay, that's up to him. He can pay it all by himself if he wants...

Course, I don't know WHY he'd have insurance then, but there's no accounting for peoples behavior.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 06:29 AM

You do not sue the insurance companies, you sue the people and often for a lot more than their insurance, you sue for the actual amount of your injuries.

If you have 100,000 in bills and they only have 25,000 in insurance, too bad, That is how it works, If you win, their insurance would pay up to their max, Normally when you sue them, they inform their insurance company and then their insurance companies will use their attornys to fight your attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal Injury Lawsuit [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out how long the statute of limitations says a person has to file a personal injury lawsuit. I am located in Ontario, and the injury occurred in Punta Cana Dominican Republic. Therefore I am also wondering if I need to be dealing with an international lawyer. Thanks Tara

Lawsuit? Yes or no? [ 2 Answers ]

This weekend my three small children, my fiancé, brother in law, his friend and son, and well of course myself.. all decided to go to a video store to buy a few movies to watch at home. I sat in the car along my brother in laws friend and our children while my fiancé got out to get the movies and...

Do I have a lawsuit? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently went to a dental chain & had some work done. The dr suggested I get veneers since I was not happy with my stains. I explained I would be moving across state & would purchase them if they were ready in time. Needless to say, they weren't. I flew back in Oct for the procedure. It all went...

Do I have a lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 2nd degree burn at work changing the fryers. I was improperly trained and we are not supposed to change the fryers while there on but they made me I got burned and they continued to make me work. I didn't fill out and accident report until a week later and they offered no medical attention

Lawsuit [ 1 Answers ]

My, now out of business, corporation has been sued by a purveyor and they have obtained a judgement against it. My question is, If the name of the corporation is wrong in the lawsuit, is the judgement binding?

View more questions Search