Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TexasYankee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Thermostat reads low battery
    I have a Honeywell thermostat which reads low battery. I replaced the batteries with fresh batteries and even turned the circuit breaker off and on. Yet it still reads low battery and there is no heat coming from this section of the house. (Master bedroom is cold) What do I need to do?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 08:58 PM

Many times a reset button needs to be pressed with a paper clip etc, to restore operation after replacing the battery. Check the manual.
    tboy56 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 06:11 PM

Hit the reset button
    scohen5052 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
    I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat which was installed about 3 years ago. The screen reads "Low Battrey" but I do not know how to open it to replace the batteries. There does not seem to be any way to open it.
    fullwit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2010, 10:43 AM
    The older models do not have a reset battery so this is what I did to reproduce a reset.

Remove the old batteries.
    Install the new batteries with incorrectly facing terminals. (+ goes to - and - goes to +). This will completely power off the unit.
    Remove the incorrectly installed batteries and let the unit sit for about 15 seconds.
    Install the new batteries correctly - the unit should now start flashing 12:00 time - you're all set!
    Set the time and date and you're ready to roll.

Hope this helps someone!
    xJPxCAx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
    fullwit s totally right. Just install the batteries incorrectly for 15 seconds and then install them in the unit correctly and you should be good to go!
    skd86mld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 06:00 AM
    Reversing polarity did not work for us. Any other suggestions.
    AlteredChords Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 08:26 PM
    The polarity reversing scheme has worked for me. I now have heat. Thank you Fullwit.
    RealityCzech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Thanks! This did the trick!
    linuxdood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 01:03 AM
    Reversing batteries helped here too!
    Thanks!!
    Artdog17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
    My Trane XT 302 wall thermostat says on the display it needs new batteries. I had it professionally installed and don't seem to have the manual. How can I open the wall-mounted thermostat to replace the batteries. I've looked carefully around all the edges and there are no markings to open.

Thanks---Hope you can help! It's a heat wave and my ac seems to have stopped along with the thermostat.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Try to squeeze in different areas to separate the front from the back.
    Change batteries quickly and don't press any buttons to maintain any Programming.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 07:25 PM
    You manual is here: Trane OWNER'S GUIDE Thermostats XT300C, XT302C | ManualsOnline.com for free.

I'd suggest calling the help line because there is no reference to a battery even though there may be one. Sometimes a small lithium batter which is deamed non-user replaceable is inside the thermostat. It's only purpose is to maintain the settings when the power goes out and therefore the battery may have a 10 yr life. That lifetime may the manufacturer's expected lifetime for the thermostat.
    dmdegrassi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
    Thank you fullwit! Your suggestion worked!! :)
    roscoej Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2012, 02:47 PM
    This trick still works. Was able to reset my thermostat after battery change.
    Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2012, 05:12 PM
    You might also find that shorting the battery contacts with the batteries out will also work. Install the batteries quickly as if they are a switch.
    raisel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
    I was losing my mind with confusion. That was so simple. Who would know that?

Thank you!!
    DJA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
    Reversing batteries worked! Many thanks for the great advice!
    louischan99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2013, 07:38 PM
    fullwit, you rock :)
    Thank you very much.
    bluescoot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fullwit View Post
    The older models do not have a reset battery so this is what I did to reproduce a reset.

Remove the old batteries.
    Install the new batteries with incorrectly facing terminals. (+ goes to - and - goes to +). This will completely power off the unit.
    Remove the incorrectly installed batteries and let the unit sit for about 15 seconds.
    Install the new batteries correctly - the unit should now start flashing 12:00 time - you're all set!
    Set the time and date and you're ready to roll.

Hope this helps someone!
    Thank you fullwit
    You da man!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat--reverts back to Hold AC when run program is pushed.

Low Battery on Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat that controls the heat and air conditioning (Maple/Chase) says Low Battery. I changed the batteries and it still won't work. The air conditioner won't come on. What do I do? I've changed the batteries before and things were fine.

Carrier thermostat battery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am having trouble with my thermostat. It was blank when I woke up this morning. I have looked for a battery to replace, but I do not see one. Do Carrier thermostats have batteries? Am I loking in the wrong place? Thanks! Beth

Hunter thermostat reads no a/c power [ 7 Answers ]

We just purchased a hunter thermostat model 44760 to replace the old thermostat when our a/c went out and it reads no a/c power. We have a trane heat pump. We've also replaced the fuses outside next to our heat pump and nothing is working. I believe our wiring is correct. Can anyone help? Thanks....

1996 Ford F250HD battery display reads 18V! [ 3 Answers ]

I just noticed yesterday that every once in a while my battery charge meter will suddenly shoot up to 18V (outside of the area marked "NORMAL"), but only stays there for 1-2 seconds then jumps back down to the middle. I am afraid that it might stay there too long and fry something. I understand...

View more questions Search