Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stan aaron Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Key won't turn in 95 Honda Civic
    My steering column in forever getting locked on a 95 Civic that I bought. The person who sold it to me told me to push the key in and clockwise while jiggling the steering wheel left to right . This worked a couple of times but it is a HASSLE to start the car and I live in fear that I won't get it started at some point. Is this a common problem with Hondas? Is their a way to disable the locking mechanism? Or another way to remedy the problem?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Have your Honda dealer check out the ignition. Never heard of that problem before.

Aug 16, 2006, 01:34 PM
    The Honda dealer said it was a safety feature. He said when the wheel locks and the key won't turn to wiggle the steering wheel until it gets "between the clunks". What the hell?
    civic racer 94 Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Aug 17, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stan aaron
    The Honda dealer said it was a safety feature. He said when the wheel locks and the key won't turn to wiggle the steering wheel until it gets "between the clunks". What the hell?
    Yes 92-95 civic do have a common problem with the locking mechanism
    It is a safety feature but it should not be hard to get unlocked if it is, it might be time to replace it

Aug 18, 2006, 04:48 AM
    Thanks. I am not very mechnically inclined. How much should it cost to replace the locking mechnism?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 18, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Do you mean that the steering wheel "locks" when you turn the car off and take the key out and turn the steering wheel in any side a bit, and you cannot turn the key in ignition lock then? This is a perfectly normal thing and it happens to me every time I move the steering wheel. To be able to turn the key in the lock again, you HAVE to tilt the steering wheel together with turning the key, otherwise you cannot turn the key.

But, if you do not touch the steering wheel after you turn the engine off, and you have that problem, then it's something I cannot help you with :)
    Amythest Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Aug 18, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Sometimes my ignition sticks, but most of my keys are copies, if yours is a copy it could be an error in the way its mde, also sometimes my keys will stick in the ignition I put them in upside down .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda civic [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic 4 door sedan dx. I just replaced the rotor and distributor cap and now the car won't start. First I checked multiple times to be sure I had the firing order correct. I then read the thread written by CroCivic91 and checked my ECU codes. I got a 10 and 16. The 16 sounds...

85 Honda Civic won't turn over [ 6 Answers ]

First, my knowledge of cars is limited, so forgive me if my terminology is off. I went to start my 85 Honda Civic Hatchback yesterday, and the starter slowly puttered out (crank crank Craaank Craaaaannk... nothing). Now, when I go to start the car, Nothing happens. I can pop the clutch, and the...

89 honda civic won't turn over [ 1 Answers ]

Most of the time it starts.Is now acting up once in a while.when you push clutch to the floor you hear a click and that is all.when you keep pushing pedal to floor it will turn over eventually.Can someone please suggest what's the problem or how to fix this? THANK YOU!

My 89 honda accord will turn over but don't start [ 1 Answers ]

I stopped at a stop light and my 89 honda accord cut off on me.I was unable to start it again.I changed the plugs and wires and still it will try to turn over but never fully starts.any recommendations on what I could do next.

Honda civic engine will not turn [ 5 Answers ]

My '88 Honda civic was running when I pulled the 15 amp ecu fuse. This immediately stopped the engine. I believe I returned the fuse with the ignition key still turned. I have since been unable to start the engine-all I get is a click from the fuse box area just under the driver side dash. I have...

View more questions Search