Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qmagnuson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Smooth grout on smooth tile
    We just grouted our bathroom wall tiles (smoooth white subway style pattern) with smooth white pre mixed grout. It isn't going in well and is now cracking and hardneing with bums and edges :( Do we have to do another coat or will that be too thick... it is showing some thinset and the edges of the tile too
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 16, 2009, 09:17 PM
    We never recommend using anything that comes pre-mixed for ceramic tile especially for wet areas. Lots of horror stories from non suspecting DIY's. Sometimes these products never dry. And most shrink and crack.

The thinset is showing because you didn't clean it when you installed the tiles. Applying another coat may work? Or remove it and use real grout?

Jaz

Feb 17, 2009, 12:27 PM

Jazman

Thanks you that's what I figured. Now next question can I use sanded grout (not premixed) over the current smooth premix as a top coat to cover these problems

Feb 17, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
    We never recommend using anything that comes pre-mixed for ceramic tile especially for wet areas. Lots of horror stories from non suspecting DIY's. Sometimes these products never dry. And most shrink and crack.

The thinset is showing because you didn't clean it when you installed the tiles. Applying another coat may work? Or remove it and use real grout?

Jaz
    We would rather not remove it (lots of work) but rather cover it. Can we now use a sanded grout to do the last coat?
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 17, 2009, 03:33 PM
    With those tiles I would figure your joints are narrow, probably around 1/16"? You need un-sanded up to 1/8"width. New grout is not going to stick to the grout already there. Grout needs to also "grab" to the sides of the tiles. You should have about the top 3/16" or so open for grout.

Although it'll be a PITA, it shouldn't be that hard to remove that stuff.

Jaz
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 07:07 PM

I agree with Jazman. At this point you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Your thinset was not properly clean between the tiles, probably way too thick also. Your premix was not pushed into the grout line far enough so it cracked and now you'd like sanded to grout to hide the whole mess, it won't work. You need to undo any much,many of your mistakes and the regrout the proper way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips for smooth legs [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know the best way to get the smoothest legs? From which razors to shaving cream and lotions are the best to use... I've heard using baby lotion to shave is good but then I have a hard time cleaning out my razor.

Soft, smooth sheets [ 2 Answers ]

How do you make new rough sheets soft and smooth? >Moved from Forum Help<

Smooth legs [ 3 Answers ]

I have been waxing yet my legs are still not smooth and look like I have been shaving with loads of spots like marks:mad: , how can I make them smooth? With no dark marks?:confused:

I need smooth legs! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I look after my skin correctly? I want my legs to be smooth like a river, how do I do that?

View more questions Search