Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liljohnny50 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 10:52 AM
    A Weird Sound in the Cars Engine
    Let me explain this is "Dumb" Terms because I don't know the language of a Mechanic so if you are a mechanic please don't try telling me how to fix the problem and then tell me the different cars under the hood It like talking to a brick wall nothing will get through.

Now here's what's happening to my 04 KIA optima.
    For the past 3 months I have taken my Car to get a new transmission oil change a few other repairs done to it because my Check Engine light came up well that means take it in your local Car Dealership and get it fixed correct?

Well, Now 4 times in a row in the past 3 months I've tkane my car in just to drive it off the lot after 10 miles the check engine light comes right back on and I've had to even yell at these guys saying I can't afford to come here every month I don't have the money and most car service departments overcharge for even the smallest part anyway.

My Car for some reason or other when I start it up and start driving it was sort of push back its hard to explain really but it pushes back and you can hear it doing this you can almost feel like the car is going to give you whiplash just by driving it now this only happens just after I start driving and then after I slow down to stop.

It has started happening every time that check engine light comes up so whatever it is, that is what is making the check engine light appear.

Now has this sort of thing happened to anyone and if so what was it and how can I be fixed I want to tell the mechanic at my delaership the specific part I want them to fix so that my Check Engine light doesn't come up so often.

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:10 AM

When the Check Engine Light comes on, take your car to AutoZone, for instance, and ask them to tell you what exact codes were thrown. Most auto part stores will do this for free.

Come back with the codes and we should be able to give you direction.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:40 AM

Since you are not really into auto mechanics, take my advice and start using full-synthetic 5W-30 engine oil; e.g. Mobil 1. Change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. This will ensure you keep the car out of the shop for major engine repairs. Likewise, use full-synthetic automatic transmission fluid. Change the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. Years from now, you will thank me.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 12:25 PM

. What engine do you have (4 or 6 cylinder)?

. Have you ever changed the spark plugs? If so, did you use the exact brand and plug no. that came in the car?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 02:59 PM

I will monitor this and try to be of any help also. I think at this point we can call this hesitation. The acceleration is being held back by this 'hesitation'.
    We are looking for codes you can tell us. Like P0300-301-302... and such. This example is misfires (shutters) in the cylinders. It would definitely lead us in a direction to help.
    maxpinck1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2009, 07:32 PM

I will also help with your car problem, I have access to a code manual.
    liljohnny50 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 12:09 PM

Okay Guys I went to KIA and they said it was a "LEAN" Not to sure what that means but the code is P5506 So please with the code could you explain what it is and what LEAN means. He said this was covered under warranty however if you had to pay for something like that how much would it cost.
    Thanks
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 12:17 PM

I can't find any car that has a code "P5506"; are you sure you typed it right or did they give you the wrong code? You could try AutoZone for a free scan to get the right code number.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 12:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by liljohnny50
    liljohnny50 agrees: I just need to find out what "LEAN" means the way the Mechanic explained it was it was a part but I want to know what specific part and what it costs
    I understand that; what I don't understand is the code that they're providing you with. In order for us to give you the most accurate answer, we need the best information. We can't answer accurately without the right code.

"LEAN" probably refers to lean fuel trim. But again, we won't know for certain without the right diagnostic code.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2009, 04:21 PM

In your original post you said something was holding the car back. Well being "lean" would cause this.
    The fuel trim is too lean. Meaning, the fuel injectors need to spray more fuel but they can't for some reason.
    Hence the phase "you need to give it more gas" to get going.
    If this were a Toyota I'd run you right through this, but each make is different so I don't want to tread where I might be wrong.
    For me the code would be P0171 "system too lean" The most likely problem area would be a dirty MAF (mass air flow sensor)
    That's the sensor just after the air filter. If it reads the improper air mass, then it tells the computer to spray the injectors at the wrong volume. Could be rich (too much) or too lean, (not enough).
    The fuel injectors could be dirty restricting the spray, or there could be a vacuum leak. I can't tell from here, so maybe some one could chime in and help more.
    Your code make no sense to me. I tried to be as much help as I could, hope it works out for you.
    maxpinck1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Feb 24, 2009, 05:41 PM

The last powertrain code for your car is P3497. Could the mechanic mean P0506.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound while watching television.sound when playing video games [ 4 Answers ]

I have no Idea what the problem could be, but if I try to watch television, which is cable, I cannot hear the sound on the television, but If I play video games, then you can hear the sound perfectly... So, it cannot be a problem with the speakers inside the television.. Could it be the cable? What...

Car won't start no sound from engine! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Hyundai Sonata I just recently replaced the starter but I I am getting no sound or power from the engine. The power windows or locks won't work no lights or radio either. What can be the problem?

This may sound weird, but how do I GAIN weight. [ 3 Answers ]

I am 21 years old, 5'6, and weigh 99 lbs... it ranges from 95-102.. but always stays at 99.8... I eat A LOT! And not that healthy.. I've always been small, but used to weigh more. I'm not sure what happened but I was in a bad relationship for 3 years, away from all family and friends... well.. I...

My 16 hp vanguard engine made a terrible racket inside the engine no longer runs, why [ 2 Answers ]

Mower was running fine, started making a noise inside engine, lost power, noise returned, and engine died. No longer will start, just spins. Is the engine trashed or possibly fixable?

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

View more questions Search