Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XXstaceyxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 06:45 AM
    No hot water downstairs but is upstairs
    Hello,

Not sure if anyone can help me? I have just moved into a rented house and there is no hot water coming through to the kitchen tap (there was for about one day then it just stopped) we do however have hot water upstairs in fact it is very very hot up there but just a tiny dribble out of the hot water tap downstairs, anyone got nay ideas?

Thanks

Stacey
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 16, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Good morning Stacey.
    We need more information before we can answer.
    Is this a one handle or two knob faucet. What's the brand name? Is the cold side OK? Back to you, Tom
    XXstaceyxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Good morning Stacey.
    We need more information before we can answer.
    Is this a one handle or two knob faucet.? What's the brand name? Is the cold side OK? Back to you, Tom
    Hello,

Its one tap but with hot and cold on either side, but its mixer tap I think, not sure of the make though, its old! Ha! The cold water is fine comes out perfectly but just a dribble on the hot water, or not even a dribble, also the radiator in the spare bedroom only heats up at the bottom and not the top, tried bleeding it and no water came out after aout 20 minutes, so put the screw back in, not sure if its connected? I was told there may be air in the system, would this effect both problems?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 16, 2009, 10:29 AM
    [QUOTE=XXstaceyxx;1551225]Hello,

Its one tap but with hot and cold on either side, but its mixer tap I think, not sure of the make though, its old! Ha! The cold water is fine comes out perfectly but just a dribble on the hot water, or not even a dribble, QUOTE]
    Stacey, I moved your radiator problem over to AC and Heating under the Heading. BEDROOM RADIATOR PROBLEM. See your answer there. The two problems aren't related. From the information you've gicen me it sounds like you have some crud in the hot water supply or valve. Shut the water off and remove the stem and washer assembly,(see image). Cherck around the seat for any debris that may be lurking there. Now place a can over the open faucet and turn on the hot water to flush out the hot water supply and open valve body. You should have a strong stream coming out of the faucet. If not click back and tell me. By the way Do you flush your water heater out on a regular maintenance schedule? Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Feb 16, 2009, 11:40 AM

Turn (clockwise) Off the hot water shutoff under the sink. Then turn (counterwise) it back On. Could be some "crud" inside the shutoff.

Also, if it's a multi-turn shutoff, the rubber washer inside the shutoff could be bad & is blocking the water. To check, you'll have to turn Off the water to the house (or turn Off the shutoff on the hot water heater) & then using a wrench, remove the stem of the shutoff. (Similar to Speedball's answer for the sink faucet.)

Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water downstairs but not upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

Over the weekend the water has failed to run hot upstairs but still manages to run hot downstairs. Even the shower is freezing. Does anybody know what could be causing this? Thanks

Hot water downstairs, no hot upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

When I got up this morning, I went to wash my hands and no water came out of the faucet. I turned the knob to the cold water and I got water. I checked the faucets downstairs and the hot water is working fine. My husband went to the basement and the pipes felt warm and there wasn't a leak. The hot...

No cold water upstairs, OK downstairs. Hot OK everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board. Hello. The above title is pretty explanatory, happened in my home today. Why should this be? I have run the cold tap downstairs to see if it will run dry but it is fine. Hot OK too. Happened this morning. Thames water have no cut offs. Any takers?

Hot water downstairs but not upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not getting hot water upstairs but I am downstiars. If I switch the shower on the run the tap upstairs at the same time the water gets warm but not hot but downstairs its really hot water:confused:

View more questions Search