Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dandax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 10:47 PM
    Join pvc drain into middle of existing cast iron
    Hello everyone.

I am planning to move the sink in my bathroom. I've already figure out (it's pretty easy) where to put the copper pipes with hot cold water.

Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to do the dranage.

There's a cast iron pipe about 4' in diameter, that runs from the bathroom upstairs into the basement right where the sink will be.

I wanted to basically, create a hole in it,and drop a pvc line from the new sink right into it. Another possibily is to run the pvc line into the basement, and replace one of the elbows of the cast iron pipe with a pvc 2-into-1 part.

Attacehed a rough drawing of how it is now.

Thx for any help.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Hi Dan,

You're just going to drill a hole in the cast iron and jam a piece of PVC pipe into it?
    I have a better suggestion. Now I don't know what a "pvc 2-into-1 part" fitting is but if you're referring to a elbo with a heel inlet, (see image) that's the way I would go.
    This would take a set of cast iron ratchet cutters to cut out the elbo, prime and glue short pices of PVC into The heel inlets hubs and connect back with No-Hub Bands to the cast iron. Sound like a plan? Regards, Tom
    dandax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Hmmm... I have one of these. The pipe going down from 2nd floor to basement goes into an elbo w/a heel. Then into another elbow, then into a horizontal slanted pipe.

Wasn't the heel made to be able to clean a clog of a slanted pipe? How would I connect the pvc line into there and keep this ability?

Thx
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2006, 07:41 AM
    "Wasn't the heel made to be able to clean a clog of a slanted pipe? How would i connect the pvc line into there and keep this ability?"

You're confusing cleanout with inlet. The heel inlet will have a hub that you can prime and glue a drain pipe into. This is the function of side and heel inlet fittings. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Join 4" PVC to Cast Iron Hub [ 2 Answers ]

I am re-routing the main sewer line that goes through the basement/crawl space of my 70+ year old house. Simply put, there are too many re-plumbs, new lines, and/or patches by previous generations. In the next months, a new kitchen and bathroom downstairs are going to cut into this patchwork 2...

Cast iron drain connection [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, we have a house built in the ealy 50's. We've torn out a small tiled shower and want to replace with a new one that doesn't leak. We have a 2" cast iron drain pipe sticking 1 1/2 inches above the house slab. What is the best way to connect a new two piece drain before we build or install new...

PVC to Cast Iron Drain Mating [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to mate a new 2" PVC drain into an existing 3" cast iron bell that is part of the 4"` cast iron vent stack. The previous arrangement was 2" galvanised into the bell, sealed with oakum and lead. I looked at the Fernco thick rubber gaskets but the cast iron bell seems a bit out...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search