Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosaura1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 10:07 PM
    Transferring deeds
    After we got married my ex husband bought a house just in his name, now such property was declared a community property,we have to go back to court for the final resolution in November.
    So far, he has taken private loans and there is little equity left; how can I force him to put my name in the deed before November so he can stop taking all the equity of the house, I live in the house.
    My lawyer said he doesn't know what to do.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 15, 2006, 10:10 PM
    Your attorney needs to confer with a real estate attorney. They need to place a lis pendens on the property. This is a document that gets recorded in the county clerk's office and it puts the world on notice that there is a lawsuit about to be filed concerning the property. Once a lis pendens is filed the property can't be sold or refinanced.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Hello rosa:

I will only add, that if your lawyer told you that he doesn't know what to do, then you need to find a brand new lawyer who DOES know what to do.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 09:15 PM
    You did not say your state, but in general a quick claim deed gives you ownership rights but depending on the state may also not stop him from taking out loans on the property.

Also your attorney may place notice of court proceedings on file with the property deed. This would inform anone doing a title search to see there is possoible court procdings to challenge the deed.

Also your attorney may consider filing a separate motion contesting these new loans as not valid or fraud to the division of property in the divorce.

And as excon said, if your attorney did not know( or at least did not find out what he can do) I may look for another attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deeds [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A Friend That Purchased A Home In June And The Deed States That It Is A Bargin Sale Deed. I Would Like To Get More Information Concerning That And I Would Like To Know If That Was A Good Move For Her To Do.

Transferring hard drive to run as slave [ 5 Answers ]

OK my old computers mother board fried.. so I got another computer same intel celeron same emachines brand but they both r using same mother board go figure... so I was going to try to slavage the information on the old hard drive and yes the computer recignises it perfectly fine shows up on my...

Transferring a 401 [ 2 Answers ]

I have an account with Valic about 100K in it, it is in a retirement 401 started with my old co. I have moved to a new job, they have a 401 k with BBand T. Should I transfer the original 401 or just start a new one. If I leave the original I can not add to it right? What's the best way to have...

About warranty Deeds [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are divorcing. He owns 40 acers and is spliting it with me as part of the divorce. I was told all we need is a warranty deed. But to be very careful as to how it is written. So I was hoping to get help as to what to look for when he gives me this deed?

Transferring big file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm Wessley, I have a movie file of around 600MB on a pc. Is it possible for me to transfer it to an other pc if I only have the internet, and a floppy drive. Is there any software available that can either zip the file sufficiently, or that can split it into smaller files? Thanks

View more questions Search