Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vanray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Journalize entries to record Allowance for doubtful accounts
    How would you journalize entries to record allowance for doubtful accounts using two different bases.

The ledger of Elburn company at the end of the current year shows accounts receivalbe $110,000, Sales $840,000 and salaes Revenue and allowances $28,000.

If Elburn uses the direct write-off method to account for uncollectible accounts, journalize the adjusting entry at December 31, assuming Elburn determines that Copp's $1,400 balances is uncollectibel.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
    Direct write-off method:

Dr. Bad Debt Expense 1,400
    Cr. AR 1,400
    ballin4eva113 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 09:56 AM

How did you get this answer? And could you show me in a brief journal entry?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 12:35 PM

There are two different ways to account for uncollectible accounts. The first way is the Percentage of Sales method and the Direct write-of method. Vanray's question was about the Direct Write-off method and the question stated that $1,400 was considered uncolletible. CaptainForest's journal entry is the proper way to record the uncollectible account for the Direct Write-off method.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journalize this [ 2 Answers ]

Acquired building ; the cost $200,000 ; with estimated life 40 years. It will be depreciated over 40 years using straight line depreciation. Salvage value $20,000. How do I journalize this? I have Cash $200,000 Building $200,000 ...

Allowance For Doubful Accounts [ 2 Answers ]

I need to see a format for a Balance Sheet entry on Allowance for Doubtful Accounts and Accounts Receivable entries. I'm not sure how to title and credit/debit these entires. Thank you, Diane

Allowance for Uncollectibles account [ 3 Answers ]

Unadjusted Trial Balance Sales $600,000 Ending Accounts Receivable 180,000 Ending Allowance for Uncollectibles 6,200 CR Bad Debt Expense 5,000 Estimated...

Journalize entries [ 1 Answers ]

I've been trying to journalize this and think I've got it wrong: Assume a 4% service fee is charged by American Express. Record the entry for the transaction on the restaurant's books for Dr. Miller’s AMEX credit card transaction. The service fee is 2,000 x 4%=$80. The entry is Accounts...

View more questions Search