Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melvin broussard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 07:34 PM
    MTD lawn tractor starter problem
    I've got a MTD lawn tractor 12.5 briggs have the same problem that was posted earlier. I did jump start it and the starter works. I changed the switch and solenoid. The switch will kill the engine. When I turn it to start it will not engage the starter. If I jump across solenoid which is under the seat it will start. With a tester hooked to ground and touch a prong on the start switch I get a light when I turn the key to start the light goes out let of the switch and light comes on. This happen with the old switch and new. It was working fine then started the problem above. Any help will be appricated. Melvin
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2006, 09:37 AM
    I'm sure the switch is a mtd replacement?
    Go over your wiring real quick and make sure nothings rubbing, broken, bare and touching... that sort of thing.
    stiffjoint Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Battery and starter cables but what other wiring goes on the solenoid on a Briggs and stratton 12.5 r4iding mower by Murray

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

No start ayp lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have a AYP 22hp kohler with a electric pto clutch. The engine won't turn over with the key switch . I can jump the key switch and it will run. It will stay running as long as I leave the clutch/brake pedal engaged. If I release the clutch or try to engage the blades it will die . At first I...

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

Weedeater lawn tractor [ 7 Answers ]

I have a weedeater lawn tractor age unknown but 5-8 years guessing with a 12.5 briggs engine, went to start it last week and clicking was all I got so tried to manually turn crankshaft and it was froze, this week I got to tinkering with it and was able to turn shaft and it fired up like always,...

View more questions Search