Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juniperblue Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Natural Poison Oak Prevention?
    I tend to have delayed reactions to skin irritants and am concerned about very likely poison oak exposure. (The other person I was hiking with got very severe poison all over his body and we were hiking the same place.) It's possible I do not react to poison oak at this point or that my long clothes protected me. But I would like to take preventative measures, if possible. I've read things that say some people take 7-10 days to break out in the rash. And my body is the type that may do that if I develop a poison oak rash. It's been about 3-4 days at this point. Is there anything I can do? Take a bath with something in it? Take an herb of some sort? Any suggestions? Or am I pretty much in the clear for the hike itself? (Though the clothes, shoes, and blanket involved have not been washed yet.) Thanks.
    aquest33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Its doubtful that you will have a reaction after going 3 days with no reaction. You should wash your clothes, etc. The active part of poison oak is a chemical name urishol (that may not be spelled correctly). It is clear and has the consitency of pine tar. As you may know, pine tar does not wash off easily. This is why it is wise to wash yourself and your clothes in something like Tecnu which is designed to dissolve this chemical. Depending on your paranoia level of getting poison oak, you may want to wash everything twice.

There is a new ointment named Zanfel. The makers claim that Zanfel applied to exposed areas will eliminate poison oak. I have not tried it. It is very expensive.

Some people claim that Jewel weed helps with effect areas.

The best thing to do is search the internet - there are several sites that cover all aspects of poison oak.

And finally, the very best thing is prevention - long shirts and pants and the knowledge of what poison oak looks like during all seasons.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motorcycle Theft Prevention Need A Gps [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a 04 suzuki gsxr 750 with a lot of extras.. I don't have a garage and I have to park my bike on the street or in my back yard which is very accessible.. I'm hoping that someone can help me with finding a reliable, cheap, real time gps that doesn't have a monthly fee.. I've been checking...

Poison Oak Prevention [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I...

Lead poison [ 4 Answers ]

Was paint with lead used on old models Of matchbox cars?

Poison Sumac... Tree [ 5 Answers ]

I previously cut down a tree and prepared it for firewood. That next spring the stump started to grow and we realized that it was poison sumac! I never knew they grew into trees! I have determined that I have another one about 25' on my property that I intend to take down. My question is how...

View more questions Search