Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juniperblue Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Poison Oak Prevention
    Hi,

I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I would like to prevent it from the clothes, jackets, and blanket that were all exposed. I keep finding information on the internet saying to wash them, but conflicting information on washing them. Should they be washed with cold, warm, or hot water? Do they need to be washed once or several times? Should they be dryed in the dryer or hung out to dry? (Some places say hung out to dry for several day.) How can I get things especially the blanket, which is bigger than me into the washer without exposing myself to it or exposing myself to it further? Some places say it can take up to 7-10 days for some people to break out in poison oak. My skin tends to have delayed reactions to irritants. Is that true? Am I not actually in the clear for it? And is there anything I can do at this point to prevent it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Well, it is ture that it will take about 7-10 days, but you sound like you were well protected.

Put on long sleeves and rubber gloves, put the blanket in a trash bag, go to the laundrymat and wash in the large load washers. Wash in hot water and hang in the sun to dry. Do the same with your clothes.

Unfortunately there is nothing that I know of to prevent it. But it really is easy to clear up. A steroid shot will do wonders.
    Captain_Brown Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 07:09 AM
    I would put Calamine lotion on the part that got infected. Whatever you do, do not touch it with your bare hands because if you touch it, you can get it too. Always wear long sleeves, long pants, shoes, and gloves wherever you expect poison oak.

Hope this helps...
    Emily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motorcycle Theft Prevention Need A Gps [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a 04 suzuki gsxr 750 with a lot of extras.. I don't have a garage and I have to park my bike on the street or in my back yard which is very accessible.. I'm hoping that someone can help me with finding a reliable, cheap, real time gps that doesn't have a monthly fee.. I've been checking...

Natural Poison Oak Prevention? [ 1 Answers ]

I tend to have delayed reactions to skin irritants and am concerned about very likely poison oak exposure. (The other person I was hiking with got very severe poison all over his body and we were hiking the same place.) It's possible I do not react to poison oak at this point or that my long...

Lead poison [ 4 Answers ]

Was paint with lead used on old models Of matchbox cars?

Poison Sumac... Tree [ 5 Answers ]

I previously cut down a tree and prepared it for firewood. That next spring the stump started to grow and we realized that it was poison sumac! I never knew they grew into trees! I have determined that I have another one about 25' on my property that I intend to take down. My question is how...

View more questions Search