Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Now that the Stimulus Package has passed
    So, now that the Stimulus Package has passed and is waiting to be signed on Monday, what do you think will happen?

Do you feel that any of this money is going to trickle down to the people and ease some of the unemployment creating any jobs at all?

Do you feel that the roads will be repaired or repaved in the spring?

Do you feel that any of the money is actually going to be spent where it is supposedly allocated to be spent?

Is this a rip off in your opinion?

Do you feel betrayed that no one actually read this legislation before it was finally passed on Friday?

Who do you feel will actually benefit from this package?
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Feb 14, 2009, 05:42 PM

Politicians have to do something, that's their nature. Bush had to, and Obama has to.

The truth of the matter is that the we always go through these cycles. What pisses me off is that business is so married to the quarterly report that they don't plan for these 7 - 14 year downturns. They don't put the cash aside to weather the storm that they know will come. What also pisses me off is that a lot of people made a lot of money and took their personal cut of that money and today the little guys who simply want a paycheck are out of a job because the CEO's didn't plan for a rainy day/year etc. The CEO isn't going to be on the street, but the regular worker might be.

Shareholders need to create a new culture of responsibility for the companies they've invested in.

Same with government, it's time they started working on a budget surplus and put some money aside for a rainy day/year.

Was it just my father who could forsee that there would be times in his life when things would be tough financially and lived a modest lifestyle while putting money away for that rainy day?

------------

As for the question, is it a rip off. Of course it will be, as there are companies that are in bed with the federal, state and local governments that are going to get the lions share of these contracts and there will be a select few that will stand to get very rich.

Where there is money, especially government money there will be people who can get it.

The little guy is screwed, as usual. First those who make money were bailed out, now a different set of people who make a lot of money stand to make even more. Will there be a few jobs along the way, sure, but considering how many people will be looking for work can you imagine how low the wages will be? I'll bet the President's of these companies won't lower their salary or bonuses for winning a government contract or saving the company money by getting workers for dirt cheap.

Frankly, I don't care anymore, I'm sick of it.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 07:00 PM

Texas - I agree with a lot of pertinent points you made here. What really bothers me is that this is the biggest swindle yet perpetrated upon the American public in history. And the worst part is that nothing was revealed prior to the actual voting yet they were supposedly going to have a 48 hour window where everyone could read this. I'm wondering why we even HAVE elected officials who supposedly have our best interests at heart when they don't care about us "little people".

George Washington and the other founding fathers are rolling in their graves now.

There is no way for the public to undo this horrendous mess that Congress has perpetrated upon us. This is far worse than the Patriot Act ever was. How wonderful that they got a 10 day vacation immediately after voting! They don't care about health care as they and their families get free best of health care. They won't have to worry about granny and grandpa having to grin and bear no health care as they don't have too much longer to live and are a burden on the government. Apparently the "useless eaters" are to be culled and culled some more. The old, the sick, the infirmed, the people with disabilities, the people who cannot be worked to death in labor camps will just die out.

Also, what is to happen to the homeless population which is growing by leaps and bounds daily? I don't remember anything in that Stimulus rip off that even addressed this growing problem in America. There will be more and more homeless camps. Somehow I feel that this attack against the American people is a way for the military to recruit more and more cannon fodder as they don't have a place to live or a job to earn money and support themselves.

This is definitely a repeatition of history - a bad one at that. I feel that there will be quite a lot of civil unrest in the coming months in this country and the backlash of the government to quell the populace.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 04:50 AM
    There was a claim by the proponents that the projects were so called shovel ready. Now we are told that most of the spending will not happen within even 2 years. By that time the economy will either have corrected itself on it's own or not . This bill will have had little impact except hurting future generations when the bill comes due.

The bill will spend the equivalent of nearly 9% of our GDP while adding $1.2 trillion to our national debt. President Obama vows to "create or save" 3.5 million jobs at a cost of $263,000 per job.As House GOP leader John Boehner said "not one (House) member has read this bill."
    That was by design. Madame Mimi Pelosi had leave town on a weeklong recess, and she didn't want to have to wait for a little thing like debate over the largest spending bill ever passed.She has already shown she doesn't believe in debate so no surprise there . Please Madame speaker... stay on recess .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    So, now that the Stimulus Package has passed and is waiting to be signed on Monday, what do you think will happen?
    Hello wingers:

I don't know.

I don't think YOU know either. I DO think that the opposition comes from partisanship rather than economics.

Cause, I don't think YOU know any more about it than I do.

excon
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 08:14 AM

Hello again,

You're arguing about WHICH fix will fix it, as though there really IS a fix. I don't think there is.

No matter which side is speaking, you hear terms like "getting the economy going again", and "jump starting the economy", as though the speaker actually thinks somebody HAS control over the economy.

We DON'T.

We buy into the argument that OUR side has the fix, and the other guy doesn't, whereas in my view, neither side does.

Joe Biden said that even if they get everything right, there's still a 30% chance it'll fail.

I'd put that number closer to 50%. Buy gold.

excon
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 08:44 AM

As of right now, the White House had said very little as to the details of where the spending will go. Sure, they'll create jobs by putting it back into infrastructure, building roads, public buildings, etc.. . but... how, when, and where?

Right now, the economy is bordering on the Depression side of things... and something needs to be done, but as far as spending this amount of money... on something so vague, I'm wary of this.

The whole, "$400 tax credit per person" amounts to about $13 a paycheck... how the heck is this going to restart the economy?

We'll see how this goes...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 11:24 AM

It is a rip off that is going to collapse within a few years and be blamed on Bush.
    Obama preached optimistic change pre election and now that he is in his tune has changed more to he doesn't see how the mess Bush made can be fixed. What happened to all his plans for great change? If it is this stimulus we are doomed.

The government will have more government jobs that they can give to their friends. The road money will be given to build the freedom highway. The tolls from the freedom highway go to another country that is going to be operating it.

I forget how many millions is going to new government vehicles.

Much money is going to jobs overseas such as the technology/electronic jobs. Like you already get overseas workers when you call about a problem with a company, when you call SSI or welfare or for computer tech help.

Some money is going overseas for sex education and abortions.

$20 million is going to finish a wetlands project Pelosi started that is near her home.

Much of it is going to HUD and welfare.

I am still looking for the part that benefits the average American.

The stimulus=MORE government waste than anything. Why couldn't they just send 'coupons' or some sort of incentive to average Americans for housing, cars, etc..
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 11:39 AM

NH4U - I agree with your salient points. Except it's not government vehicles - it's government GOLF CARTS!

The government should send every man, woman and child a check in the amount of say $30,000. Now that would jump start the economy. Why bother giving it to the government agencies to fritter away?

ExCon - No, I haven't a clue either if this will help America or not. I'm just sitting here waiting to see what, if anything, is going to actually trickle down to the "little people".

My favorite quote from a favorite infamous person is:

"Only the little people pay taxes". Leona Helmsley.

She sure had the right idea there. Seems a lot of other rich people followed suit.

They did delete the tax part in the stimulus package where the rich people would pay more taxes and the little people not making much money would pay almost nil taxes. Gee, wonder why anyone even bothered to put that in the bill in the first place knowing full well the rich people don't want to pay their share now, let alone pay more taxes.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 15, 2009, 08:46 PM

So much for the LIE that the Democrat party is the working man's party.
    It hasn't been in my working lifetime, and I am retired now.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    So much for the LIE that the Democrat party is the working man's party.
    It hasn't been in my working lifetime, and I am retired now.
    I quite agree with you on this point, Galveston. I'm almost at the age where I'm going to win the Old People's Lottery and collect my monthly winnings. I've worked long and hard to get nowhere fast along with most "little" Americans who pay taxes.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 10:48 PM

So perhaps we can put your bitter and outlandish statements down to simply being a senile old lady?? That explains a lot!
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell View Post
    So perhaps we can put your bitter and outlandish statements down to simply being a senile old lady??? That explains a lot!!
    Hahahaha You are the one who is misinformed. I'm far from "bitter" as you put it. And as for "senile", no. Just because I've been around a lot longer than you have means I have more life experience than you do. Get a life and grow up.

Why don't you contribute something useful and intelligent here rather than calling people names as that's all you can seem to do.

I, too, can call you a few choice names in an effort to "demean" you, but I won't stoop down to your childish level.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Hahahaha You are the one who is misinformed. I'm far from "bitter" as you put it. And as for "senile", no. Just because I've been around a lot longer than you have means I have more life experience than you do. Get a life and grow up.

Why don't you contribute something useful and intelligent here rather than calling people names as that's all you can seem to do.

I, too, can call you a few choice names in an effort to "demean" you, but I won't stoop down to your childish level.
    I generally do contribute something useful (at least I think), however you laid your cards on the table with me long ago when you attacked my name, attacked any opinion I had different to yours and just plain carried on like a first rate fool. You demeaned me long ago. You carried on like a childish long ago. You stooped low long ago. I'm a respectful person, especially to my elders, but you old lady are the on who appears to need to grow up, as can be demonstrated in your posts on the 'Obama death' thread.

I think I just had another life experience. Cheers twinkie.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 17, 2009, 03:53 PM

Hey, NK. Is calling someone "senile" appropriate? Do your job, man!
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2009, 06:30 PM

Skell, you sure live up to your name. Just look it up in the dictionary. I found it most remarkable that you would even choose such a name considering what connotations to a criminal element the name carries as well as the homeless, drug user conotation as well depending on what dictionary you look in.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Skell, you sure live up to your name. Just look it up in the dictionary. I found it most remarkable that you would even choose such a name considering what conotations to a criminal element the name carries as well as the homeless, drug user conotation as well depending on what dictionary you look in.
    You've gone after my name before doodle. You've slagged it previously. I didn't choose this name you silly old bag. I was born with it. I told you that last time you took aim at my surname. But obviously your silly old mind forgot. Time to head off to the nursing home old bat! Your useless to everybody now!
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Hey, NK. Is calling someone "senile" appropriate?
    Probably not gal. But what I called her above definitely isn't either. But I don't care. She is a silly old bat! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing jointly and stimulus package [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 and so she does NOT have SSN , but just TIN number that I use to file taxes.. If I file jointly with her , am I eligible for the stimulus package from the gov.. for the last stimulus that Bush has approved , I did not get since I was told that until my...

Should Congress Pass the Stimulus Package? [ 16 Answers ]

Will the stimulus package help us or hurt us? Unemployment rates are climbing at a frightening rate. How do we get our economy back on track?

Wage earner has SSN but spouse has ITIN.Stimulus or No Stimulus? [ 1 Answers ]

According to eligablity requirements from the IRS, I as the wage earner who has a valid SSN and 5 children also whm have a valid SSN should be eligible for a Stimulus Payment. However, I filed "Married Joint" and my husband who has only an ITIN was on my return as the secondary. I have only been...

Option: Relocation Package or Bonus Package - What is Better? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been offered a lump sum relocation package or it can also be a lump sum bonus package. I live in FL and will by moving to NYC. What would be the best offer to take with the least in taxes?

My Package. [ 2 Answers ]

I ordered something online, and got a confirmation email. The email had a tracking number for USPS. Today the USPS website said the package was delivered this morning, so I looked on my doorstep and nothing was there. I looked up the street, and I can see a package on my neighbor's doorstep with...

View more questions Search