Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Feb 14, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Should I vent bathroom exhaust fan?
    I just discovered that our exhaust fan dumps directly into the attic. There's no duct out through the roof.

I know it SHOULD have a duct, but is it imperative? Am I destroying the attic?

There are two attic vents on either side of the attic which is where, I assume, the moisture is leaving.

There are only the two of us using this bathroom, usually one shower each per day.

What do you think?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 07:15 PM

I would invest in getting a vent to the outside. You don't need additional moisture build up in the attic. This will cause problems down the road.
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Feb 14, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Have the duct fitted, it is pretty inexpensive. The forced air heat run in my loft was all flex hose, rubbish for moving air. I have never done any house repairs before. However, fitting rigid duct is a doddle (easy) , buy the Home Depot "Home Improvement 123" manual , fit it yourself !
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by antipode12 View Post
    I just discovered that our exhaust fan dumps directly into the attic. There's no duct out through the roof.

I know it SHOULD have a duct, but is it imperative? Am I destroying the attic?

There are two attic vents on either side of the attic which is where, I assume, the moisture is leaving.

There are only the two of us using this bathroom, usually one shower each per day.

What do you think?
    No,you could leave it as is.

I have been in the roofing business for over 20 years,the amount of moisture you are describing wouldn't amount too much in an attic space.

The vents described are gable vents,good while there is a cross wind but not much else,except to allow hot(rising) air to escape.

IF ANYTHING!! I would consider having a roof vent installed,directing the moisture up through the vent,and more along the entire house while the installers are there too.

The more ventilation,the longer the roofing will last(up to a point,naturally).

I have been in too many homes with little or no vents for the bathroom exhaust and they haven't had any substrate damage, they were up to 60 years old,needed a new roof, but no moisture damage from just a bathroom vent.
    BOSTONTOAUSTIN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 08:14 AM
    We had the same problem, my husband went up to the attic attached the flexible duct pipe and ran it under the insulation to the over hand on the house and out a vent on the underside of the overhang. We also for another bathroom found a ductless bathroom exhaust fan.
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Feb 15, 2009, 09:41 AM

"Vent it": 2 votes

"Not Necessary": 1 vote

"Vent it to the soffitt": 1 vote

I guess my hesitation is cutting through the roof. It just seems to be begging for leakage. Other than the soffitt, is there any other alternative?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 10:14 AM

OK, I am not going to vote but just explain what happens when you"vent" to the soffit like one person did. The exhaust fan will dump warm, moist air right into a air intake area. The soffit vents air into the attic, not outside like some folks think. That moist air just stays in the attic. If the attic has good soffit intakes and good ridge vent or gable everything will vent to the outside with no damage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Share bathroom and kitchen exhaust vent [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to put in an exhaust vent for my bathroom in the basement. I have two questions. First, does the roughed in usually have the trap pre-installed for the shower under the floor? Second, Can I run the bathroom vent to the kitchen exhaust pipe and have it run to the outside. In...

How can I vent a bathroom exhaust fan in basement? [ 7 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a 4 yr old 2-story home with a full basement. The plumbing is roughed in and the vent for the drain is stubbed out for me so I appear to be in good shape for finishing out the bathroom. However, I believe I am required by code to install an exhaust fan and need to find...

How do I insulate an oil boiler exhaust vent? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an oil fueled boiler in a lower level with a 30' run of an 8" exhaust through a crawl space to the chimney. The temperature of the exhaust near the boiler is 700F and it drops to 250F near the chimney. I would like to insulate it with something to reduce the temperature drop so that the...

Exhaust vent boot installation [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I was in my attic & noticed water damage located right below a vent stack. I checked the exterior boot & noticed the bottom portion of the boot flashing was nailed down. Is this proper installation to nail the bootom portion of the rubber boot flashing? Should it only be caulked?? ...

Exhaust vent [ 4 Answers ]

We have a new furnace located in the basement with a PVC exhaust pipe. The exhaust exits the house through the wall at the floor joists and is turned down toward the ground with a 90 degree elbow. Is this a common practice? I just assumed that it would exhaust through the roof as the old systems...

View more questions Search