Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjklsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Concerning juveniles rights
    Are police or probation officer required to give juveniles their rights before questioning, searching or arresting them? Is there a chain of custody set up for taking a urine sample to be tested? When does it stop being a job and becomes harassment? The probation officer during every meeting starts with tell me what you take and I will go easy on you. Every test has came back negative when she is there to watch, but positive when they are out of her site.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Hello jj:

If a probation officer is doing the searching, one can presume that a criminal conviction has preceded the search, and one of the conditions of probation is that the probationer will submit to a search upon request.

A juveniles rights, just like an adult's are different BEFORE a conviction. There SHOULD be a chain of custody. The PO's job IS to harass his charges. I know, that SHOULDN'T be their job, but it really is. And no, it's not fair.

If this child is being cheated, the child needs an attorney.

excon

PS> I'll bet there are published policy and proceedures for the Probation Department, that covers these very subjects. I'll bet you could get a copy. I'll bet just asking for a copy, might get this po's attention...
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 03:05 PM
    If they intend to try you as an adult, then yes, they have to give you your rights. If they are treating you as a juvenile, then no. If you're presently on probation in lieu of jail for a criminal conviction then you really have no option other than to go along with the system.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Each state is so very different on Juvenile rights, in GA for example unless being charged in adult court, while people say they are charged with this or that, in general it is all in family court and considered deliquent or not because of the crime they did. It is not a matter of guilt or innocent, in fact the court is looking at what is best for the child, even if they may be innocent but the reason they were in a situation could be considered a problem, the court can still rule to take the child out of the home.

So while most police will read a person their rights if they are going to question them ( at arrest) they don't have to be read any rights at arrest,
    Or when searching, just at questioning, and then if they don't, what they say just can't be used against them, it does not destroy the arrest normally.

Now a probation officer is a totally different issue, the person is already found guilty, so they have less rights since a probation officer is merely inforceing the probation. They can search if they have a reason to anytime they want without a warrant normally ( they may have to show their reason latter if court if something is found) because normally the terms of probation gives them that right. And the probation officer can question them without giving them any rights, since this is merely a follow up for violatioin of probation, and not used in a court for conviction merely to violate probation which has much looser standards than starndard evidence in many areas. Example you have have your probation violated for being arrested, if you are latter found not guilty, they can still keep your probation violated just because you were charged even if found not guilty latter.

And yes a probation officer will read you a riot act most times you go in, to be sure you take them serious.

And there is always a chain of evidnece in evidence Remember your urine sample will not be evidence in a trial, merely a hearing to violate your probation, so while they will sign off on it, and seal it to mail it ( if they mail it) again the standard for evidnece may not be as high as in a criminal trial.

And a family should always have an attorney for their child in the system,
    But normally most juv probation people actually love kids and try their best to scare and force them to do better

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Fathers Rights [ 5 Answers ]

My daughters friend has a little girl from a previous girlfriend. They were never married. He is listed as the father on the birth certificate. The mother does not want child support and has sole custody of the child. The father paid for the hospital bills when she was born and still pays all...

Tenants rights [ 4 Answers ]

Can a mobile home park owner tell a person what color he/she can paint their shed and give them a year to do this or they have to move? And is it legal for this owner to put water meters on each of the trailors and charge the tenants a certain amount for their water without it being in the tenants...

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

Visitation rights [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of a new law about visitation rights for the noncustodial parent? Thanks,Roxpate

View more questions Search