Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donalwats Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Fresh air intake
    Hello,
    I have a Goodman gas furnace that's 90% efficient. I bought the equipment and hired an installer. He didn't put in any fresh air intake. There seems to be an intake opening (about 3 inches with crisscross grating) on the side of the unit near the gas line. The unit passed the rough in inspection, but I'm due for the final. The installer said to put a 4x10 register going into the crawlspace and a 6 inch pipe going to the attic. The unit's on the first floor, but I have a chase going to the attic. Is what the installer suggested a good thing to do? Can I install a smaller line (2 inches) directly to the unit's intake opening, and does this need to come from the roof or the attic? I'm not sure of it's importance, but the room is about 8x10 with 10' ceiling. There's also a gas water heater and dryer in the room, and a door is open to the rest of the house.
    thanks, Don
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
    While not always required, direct-venting the combustion intake to the outdoors is recommended, especially if located near other appliances that will "compete" for combustion air. Local building codes ultimately dictate whether the intake vent is required or optional.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 02:11 PM
    I hope you meant "insightful". I don't want to be responsible for starting any riots... :D
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
    The installer said to put a 4x10 register going into the crawlspace and a 6 inch pipe going to the attic.

If the inspector is going to be looking for 50% high and 50% low combustion air then that is what you will have to do. The high efficiency furnace can be piped direct but any other appliance that needs combustion air unless high efficiency and direct piped will have to be taken care of like the installer said. 50% high and 50% low like the code calls for. You will also need to do a exact calculation figured with all appliances running (fuel usage in BTU'S) that will use the combustion air to perform exact calculations for the amount of square inches necessary to do the job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fresh Air Intake [ 2 Answers ]

I recently installed a wall mounted exhaust fan (about 260 cfm) in a 2 car garage in Arizona (20x20x10high). I run this fan periodically to remove exhaust fumes and to suck out hot air. My garage is fairly tight as far as the seals are concerned and I've determined that I need a fresh air vent in...

Fresh air intake [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fresh air hose coming into the basement onto the side of the furnace.my problem is that the hose cools off the basement severely when we have north wind.can I relocate the hose to feed directly into the furnace?

Latent Heat and Fresh Air Intake [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there, I know that an Air Handling Unit (AHU) has a sensible load and a latent load. The sensible load changes to temperature and the latent load changes the status of water vapour in the air. I have an installation with several rooms cooled by Fan Coil Units (FCU). These FCUs have...

View more questions Search