Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dareaper09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Can My Pregnant Girlfriend's Parents Keep Me From Seeing Her?
    Well, I am 17, but I'm about to be 18 in less than 2 months. My girlfriend just turned 17 in January. Her parents are strict so we don't really get any time of privacy. So when we do we have as much fun as possible. And that's how she got pregnant, but the thing is her parents don't know she's pregnant. Well I was wondering if her parents could legally keep me from seeing/talking to her when they found out. And if so, then could they keep me from seeing her after my child is born? AND ALSO... IF They can keep me from seeing her, what would be the punishment if I disobey their orders? HELP ME!! AND THANK YOU!!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 11:14 AM

I think the best thing to do in the situation is to tell her parents that she is pregnant. You need to let them know that you plan to be a big part of the baby's life and her's. And that your intentions are good. I think once they know the situation, know that your heart is in the right place, and that you care, they're not going to stop you from seeing her. I'm sure they want a father for their grandchild.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Feb 14, 2009, 12:13 PM

No they can not stop you from seeing your baby. I'm not sure if they could or would stop you from seeing your girlfriend. If they could stop you it would only last till her 18th birthday.
    Cristiansmomma Posts: 25, Reputation: -4

Feb 14, 2009, 12:39 PM
    You are almost an adult.I don't think that they could keep you from seeing your girlfriend,or your child. The best thing to do is,have your girlfriend tell them that you two would like to talk,and you go to their place,and have a talk with them.Explain everything to them.Also explain how you fear of them not letting you see her,and your child. You two are still young,so they proberly have 2nd thoughts,or they might just have her keep the baby,and help by being a supporter.

Lucky you are not 18 yet,because that may had been a big issue.Most strict parents are against 18 and up with their child under 18.

Good luck,and I hope the best! Do your parents know yet?

Oh,and you would need to tell them like soon because hiding it,and then her pregnancy shows,she will be caught.
    dareaper09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Thank's to all of you. Your answers were really big help.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 02:59 PM

Definitely formulate a plan with your girlfriend of how you will help provide for the baby, how you and your girlfriend will both finish, or continue, your education, what your career goals are and how you will go about working towards them. They will want to know that their daughter and grandchild will be supported financially, and that she will finish her education. If she had goals of college, discuss how you both will go about making sure she continues with that goal... possibly private childcare, or on campus of the college, with a family member, etc..
    Knowing how you will answer these questions before you tell them will show that you both are trying to deal with the situation in a mature manner. Acknowledge that you messed up, it was not something planned, but you are willing and determined to be the best parent to your child that you can be. If that means growing up more quickly and giving up some of the things you had planned to do, at least for now, so be it. Look into parenting classes that are offered through your local hospital for example, get some books on pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting... yes, it may seem a bit early for all of that, but the more you can show that you are truly taking this seriously will show them that you are willing to do what it takes.

Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2009, 03:30 PM
    OK, first I moved this to the Family Law forum, because this is a legal question.

Second, depending on where you live you could be arrested and jailed for statutory rape. So you need to check the law for your area on Age of Consent.

And yes, until she's 18, her parents can keep her from you. However, once the baby is born, you can go to court to enforce your rights as a father.

You are going to need to be upfront with her parents very soon, I would discuss this fiurst with your parents and have both families meet to discuss a plan.

I do have to point out that the two of you have justified her parents strictness by violating their trust. You will be need to be contrite and remorseful when dealing with her parents.

I'm curious, did you try using some protectio9n or did you just have unprotected sex?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 04:43 PM

Another thing your going to need to do is get a job. Your going to have a child to support. Also you need to plan on finishing school if you haven't yet. It's a lot to carry but if you're a man then you can because it's the right thing to do. Plan on getting married when she turns 18 or before that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pregnant girl who needs to get away from her parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 years old I have a 16 year old girlfriend we life with her parents in florence ky her parents won't let her get married and she is pregnant her step father molested her when she was little and we don't want that to happen to our baby the parents won't let us get married I was just wondering...

Parents disapprove- I'm 30yr old woman pregnant with biracial baby [ 18 Answers ]

I'm recently found out that I am pregnant. My boyfriend is black and I am white. My parents haven't met him even though we have been together 6 months already. They completely disapprove of us being together. My question now is how do I mend any relationship with my parents; knowing they do not...

I'm 17 he's 25 I'm pregnant. Do my parents have rights if I'm married? [ 30 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. I am 17 && he's 25. I think I might be pregnant and if I am, him && I know my mom would completely freak out because she doesn't even want us together. He thinks that him & I getting married (( because it is legal in some states if I'm pregnant to get married w/ out parent...

Reclaiming my property lent by my son to his girlfriend's parents [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My son, who was twenty-four at the time and who had been in a very solid (or so we thought) relationship for three years, lent my commercial ($4500) lawn mower to her parents. A few months later, they split up and now her parents will not return my mower claiming that he owes them money for...

Do my girlfriend's parents have forced responsibility to allow my baby to see me? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a recent teenage father of 17, along with girlfriend of 16. My girlfriend's parents are always getting into arguments with each other and then take their anger out on make girlfriend with yelling. This then turns into them not allowing my girlfriend to come visit me. This means that I don't...

View more questions Search