Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kizza Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Should I lift weights?
    Im 29 year old woman who is overweight. I've been doing cardio 4-5 times a week and have not really had any great results now. I lost 15 pounds in 3 months but I still look pretty much the same. I'm startting to give up since my results are minimal.
    I've heard that weight training gives the best results, but I'm not sure where to begin. Should I use heavier wts like 15-20 lbs or will that bulk me up like a man? Please advise.:confused:
    Bronica Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Well The Problem W/weights Is Muscle Gain. Yes You Could End Up Looking Too Macho. Every Persons Body Is Different. I Don't Use Weights I Simply Work Out W/o Them There Are Excersises You Can Do W/o The Weights Google "working Out With Out Weights" You'll Get All Kinds Of Stuff. Really All Your After Is Toneing Up Right? But Keep In Mind You'll Need To Measure Your Body First You Will Start Looseing Inches,no Longer Will You Really Worry About Weight Because Muscle Weighs More Than Fat.

Aug 15, 2006, 09:54 AM
    I have been keeping track of my measurements and have lost a couple inches here and there. What I really want is to burn more calories to use up more fat and get a smaller size. I'm not trying to find a fast fix but looking for more workout ideas. I will Google working out with out weights.
    Thanks
    JuLee Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 02:58 PM
    You say you're overwieght so wieght lifting would only make you look more buff, which I'm sure isn't what you had wanted. I think by lessening your calorie intake with cardio workout, you should be losing wieght, no?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2006, 05:51 PM
    First slow down, weight gain did not happen overnight and losing weight.

First have you have a physcial and checked with a doctor about your health and oked to do certain exercise.

And of course it is hard to say how long and how much exercise you are doing, some workouts are 10 min some 20 and so on.

But the trick to losing weight is to work off more calories then you take in.
    So working with diet will be the first issue, and then getting on a workout to lose more calories. Add daily walking, bike riding, some swimming and so on.

Aug 17, 2006, 09:28 PM
    When I really think about it, I really could be more careful with my calorie intake. I feel my cardio workouts should do just fine (4-5 45min a week).
    I do tend to overeat. Thanks for the input.
    Star_Girl_123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Sep 7, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Hi Kizza,

Losing weight is so much more simple than people think!! :)

The following are keys:

• Burn more calories than you consume
    • Eat a balanced diet (including tonnes of vegetables)
    • Drink 2.5 litres of water a day
    • Excercise regularly

I think you SHOULD add weight training to your workout routine. I do 3-4 cardio sessions a week and 2 weight training sessions per week. Contrary to what people tell you, it is VERY difficult for a woman to become very musclely like men do, as we don't produce the testosterone to become so.

Weight training builds muscle, which burns way more calories than fat. By decreasing your body fat and increasing your muscle tone, you will burn lots of extra calories, even when you are just sitting down!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2006, 08:35 PM
    I had to stop lifting weights about five years ago. I am now 50 and my back and knees won't take it. Instead of lifting weights, now, I just buy smaller shirts. Works for me.
    akms Posts: 131, Reputation: -3

Nov 4, 2006, 10:23 AM
    I'm not a first hand expert and currently I'm trying to build mucsle not lose weight but when I was looking for things to gain mucsle I founmd things to lose weight try researching weight loss training

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lift generated by rotation [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to calculate the lift caused by rotation of a cylinder in a flow of air? We could define the cylinder as being 14ft long, 6ft wide and rotating at 10,000rpm Airflow could be anything above 10mph

Weights [ 4 Answers ]

Is it better to lift lift 2 weights (free) at the same time or to alternate arms with the weights?

Nissan terrano with a body lift [ 0 Answers ]

I have bought a 1990 nissan terrano in japan. (same as a pathfinder in the states) My problm is that with a 3 inch body lift my transfer shifter was shortened, so that when I drop the lever in to 4low it will not go in to gear because the lever is hitting the console. Yes a redneck hillbilly like...

Aerodynamic lift [ 1 Answers ]

When a high wind blows across the roof of a house an upward force acts on the roof. Explain why? THANK YOU... THANK YOU!?

View more questions Search