Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jujo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage?
    Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY?

Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the neighbourhood! Will the weight of the earth remain same, will it increase or decrease as compared with the weight of the earth taken, when the seed was sown
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 14, 2009, 10:26 AM

Q1. If the bird is flying, the bird is pushing down on the air. The air is pushing down on the cage. If the bird is not rising, the weight of the cage should be approximagely the same whether the bird is resting or flying. If the cage were very small, some of the force might be dissipated to the earth, but we're talking first-order effects, here.

Q2. The force on the earth at the point of the tree will increase because of the mass of the tree. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by the weight of the earth or not.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 10:32 AM

Not all the air under the bird's wings will press down on the cage. Some of it will go out through the bars. In principle, the cage should be lighter, but I'm guessing it would bouncing around so much you wouldn't be able to get a good reading.

Are you talking about Earth, the planet, or some amount of soil in which the tree is growing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a dog that will poop in her cage [ 2 Answers ]

I feel like I have tried everything with my 11 week old Newfie. She has a very small cage. I feed her in her crate three times a day at 6:30, 11:00 and 3:30. I let her outside for pooping after every meal. Sometimes she poops, sometimes it is up to four hours later. I take up her water three...

Furnace motor noise - bird cage spins slow [ 1 Answers ]

My blower motor on this 1985 lennox furnace started to make a noise for about 2 minutes On start up -noticed little air flow from vents - inspect the bird cage and it was turning very slow. Started 2 days ago and now the noise is the constant - do I need a new motor or can I lubricate the bearing

Decorating my bird cage with 2 birds? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello :) I have a pretty big bird cage, and 2 parakeets. My question is - How do I decorate my bird cage safely? Because I had this what I thought really great idea, and now I'm not so sure if its as good as I thought.- Ok, I wanted to make it as realistic as I could. I wanted to put either...

Is dye in bird toys safe? How to clean bird toys? [ 8 Answers ]

I am usually the one that helps other people with their cockatiel or bird questions but this time I am the one that needs help. I have cockatiel birds and I have many bird toys that I buy from Walmart and PetsMart and the other day when cleaning my bird cage I decided to wash the toys with water...

View more questions Search