Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harriet92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Not invited to baby shower
    My good friend of 10 years recently had a baby, but I was not invited to her shower. I am hurt by this because when she told me she was pregnant she told me she would invite me to her shower. Well, that didn't happen and she never told me why I wasn't invited to her shower. She has had the baby and told me she would love for me to come visit the baby. I really don't know what to do because I am very hurt that I was not invited to her showere and I feel that she wants me to come see the baby so I will bring her a gift.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 12:09 PM

You are right to feel that way. I'd go visit her new baby but just bring a token gift. And while I was there visiting see if she brings up the fact you were not invited. If she does not, then since this is obviously bothering you, come right out and tell her that you were hurt by her thoughtlessness and crass behavior.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2009, 12:29 PM

Umm, the prospective mother does NOT throw a shower for herself. This is generally done by the mother, siblings or good friends. So it may not have been your friend who left you off the guest list. Or your invitation may have been lost in the mail.

So, I agree that you should do what twinkie suggested. She may bring up that she was disappointed that you didn't make the shower and you can take it from there. Or you can say something like; "I'm so glad you invited me to see the baby, I was disappointed when I learned that your shower had been held because I thought you were going to have me invited." And then see what she says.
    GirlWSlingshot Posts: 224, Reputation: 21

Feb 13, 2009, 12:30 PM

Is there a chance that the person who threw the shower could have overlooked you?

I would visit mom and baby sans gift, maybe bring a casserole or something small. If you feel the need, maybe mention the shower in passing. If she avoids the subject and looks uncomfortable then she's probably aware that you weren't invited. If not, she is either incredibly crass and selfish or she had no idea that there was an oversight where you are concerned.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Feb 13, 2009, 12:35 PM

I would be hurt. Sometimes stuff like this is better left as water under the bridge.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 12:42 PM

So many people bring gifts for baby but my sister was always adamant to bring the new Mom something.A nice nightgown or a personal new mom diary,something for Mom alone to help her to feel beautiful again.A spa treatment or a gift certificate to get her nails done.

And then something simple for the baby... a teddy bear or something.
    GirlWSlingshot Posts: 224, Reputation: 21

Feb 13, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    So many people bring gifts for baby but my sister was always adamant to bring the new Mom something.A nice nightgown or a personal new mom diary,something for Mom alone to help her to feel beautiful again.A spa treatment or a gift certificate to get her nails done.

And then something simple for the baby...a teddy bear or something.
    Did you actually read the thread?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlWSlingshot View Post
    Did you actually read the thread?
    Yes, and it was answered by others.I was adding to the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to have a Diaper Shower and a regular Baby Shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know what exactly is a Diaper Shower? Have you ever had one or been to one? What kinds of gifts to you bring? (only diaper-related things?)

Not invited to shower [ 8 Answers ]

My husband's best friend who was the best man in our wedding is expecting a baby. His wife, Amanda, is having a baby shower, and I found out I wasn't invited. Amanda and I have never been close as she has been very closed off and close only to her small circle of friends. Should I be upset I wasn't...

Invited to Shower, not Wedding [ 7 Answers ]

HI.. My nephew is getting married soon, and unfortunately a lot of people are feeling hurt by the choices that are being made. The bride is planning on inviting people to a shower but not to the wedding. Does this seem odd to anyone else? I love my nephew very much and want them to be very happy,...

Not invited to sister in laws baby shower! [ 8 Answers ]

We live very near and see my brother and sister in law frequently and although I will admit I do not care for her that has never been expressed to anyone but my husband and he feels the same. She is having a baby shower this weekend and as I was talking with my mother in law I asked what the...

View more questions Search